AnsweredAssumed Answered

Obsolete Folders and Files - Can They Be Removed?

Question asked by Brian Guth on Nov 20, 2008
Latest reply on Jun 26, 2009 by Jay Tuttle
Preface: We are running a PDMWorks Vault on a local machine (C: drive).

Our company has had a PDMWorks Vault running for a couple of years now; and we find that it is getting rather large with regard to the file size on the disk.

I have noticed, by manually clicking through the Vault Data, that there are a number of folders which contain the word "obsolete." Based on my investigation, I see that each of the folders for any particular PART, ASSEMBLY, or DRAWING contain a folder for each Secondary and Released revision. In addition, some PARTS, ASSEMBLIES, and DRAWING have "obsolete" folders with a date and time stamp incorporated into the folder name.

Is it acceptable to delete these "obsolete" folders, since they are no longer needed, in order to save space on the disk? Also, is there a non-manual way to delete these "obsolete" folders? Perhaps a SW automated tool?

Ultimately, based on our internal procedures, we are required to create a daily backup copy of this data. Because we are a small company with limited resources; we must do this chore manually by selecting the "VaultData" folder and copying it over to a network drive. The volume of data is such that it takes a considerable amount of time to complete this task. I was hoping to eliminate some of the chaff from the vault by removing some of the "obsolete" folders and thus scaling back the time required to make a backup copy of the data.

I understand that it would much simpler to host the Vault on the network, where we have an abundant amount of disk space; but I do not posses the skill set to make that a reality. (I set up this vault only after having limited exposure to the workings of a Vault at a rather large corporation.)

I do not believe that we have Windows Server available at our facility. My understanding is that this a requirement for running the PDMWorks Vault over a network.

Once again, is it acceptable to delete these "obsolete" folders, since they are no longer needed, in order to save space on the disk? Also, is there a non-manual way to delete these "obsolete" folders? Perhaps a SW automated tool?

Any and all insight would be greatly appreciated.

Outcomes