13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2016 12:19 PM by Jeremy Feist

Drawing scrambled

John Cam

I had a drawing finished but when i enter it now it it is scrambled and i have not edited anything in any way. It says the error is with the section view. Does anyone know how to solve it. The file will open perfectly on a usb i have it backed up on but will always open scrambled in the server. Even when i copy and paste into the server file it will open scrambled. Any suggestions?

• Re: Drawing scrambled
          Chris Saller

Check the section line, it may not be passing all the way thru the model.

Or, do you have any surfaces in the model? It may have an issue trying to section them.

Dan Pihlaja

This error, for me, generally means that I am cutting a section line thru a portion where the line would be perfectly tangent to something round (or with curvature at least).  This results in the section trying to cut through something with 0 width.  Solidworks doesn't play nice with 0 width things, especially solids.   And the drawing section cut errors are notoriously lacking in descriptors to tell you what might be going on to fix the problem.

If you were able to cut the section line before and now you can't I am guessing that something changed.

Are you sure that the model didn't change at all?  no one else could have modified it?

Another thing to try is, after it has given you all the errors, dismiss them and try the CTRL Q global update.   I have seen it where Solidworks flakes out for some reason while loading a drawing (or assembly mates) and just globally updating it solved the problem.

John Cam

Thanks for the replies i'll have to wait until tomorrow until I can try anything as it is in school. What has me confused is that the exact file is backed up on a usb and is last edited on the exact same date and time and It will open on the same computer. It won't open properly through the server though but it will open perfectly from the usb.

John Cam

I noticed today that the assembly was indeed modified and that's why the drawing got scrambled. Is there any way the assembly can be modified without scrambling the drawing? I just want to mate the assembly origin to a part origin. The assembly itself won't be changed only its location. Or will I have to restart the drawing?