3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2008 7:13 PM by Joy Garon

Shared Component files

Jason Ebersole

If a configuration is added to a shared component file that resides in a PDMWE vault, does the version increment for the entire file? If so, doesn't that create a scenario where you have to ignore the Version #/# information in the contains/where used pane for assemblies that were already using said component?

Thanks, Jason

• Shared Component files
          Joy Garon
          Hi Jason -

Can you give a better example of what you mean by 'shared'?
          Do you mean same file 'referenced' by two assemblies or do you mean a file that was 'paste shared' between two directories?

Joy
            • Shared Component files
              Jason Ebersole
              Sorry, more detail:

No PDM right now... We have a "library" of SW parts on the network that are read only. Users can use them in their assemblies. I'm trying to figure out how this will work in PDMWE and have been doing some testing with an inhouse eval.

I put all of the shared part files in a "Solidworks_Components" folder and there are some assemblies in the vault that use some of these components. Under normal circumstances, even the admin of shared files probably shouldn't be messing around with existing configurations, but it may be common that new ones are added. When this does happen, I assume the version # increments for the entire file.

Therefore, doesn't that create a scenario where you have to ignore the Version #/# information in the contains pane for assemblies that were already using this shared part file? (Grayed out numbers mean using latest version, Bold numbers means you are not.)

• Shared Component files
                  Joy Garon
                  Hi Jason -

Okay - now I understand.

Your assumption about versioning is correct. Any time you check the document into the vault you create a version.
                  Assemblies will reference the version used - you can explore scenarios around 'always use latest' but I personally don't use it because I typically want to retrieve assemblies as built.

There are also issues around updating users local cache to contain the latest version of standard part files. Perhaps others in this forum can share there experiences. I know that some folks have a utility to keep the local cache synced with the vault.

Don't forget to plan for the migration of existing assemblies into the vault. If you move library folders into the vault you will need to fix reference paths in existing assemblies. Again, I welcome other customers who have all ready done this to share their experiences.

Cheers,
                  Joy