22 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2017 5:15 PM by Douglas Folk

Cannot print

Tommy Greene

I updated windows 10 and now Solidworks will not print anything? the printers are connected i can hit print but nothing sends. Other applications are working

• Re: Cannot print
          John Pesaturo

What version and service pack are you running Tommy?

David Nelson

Just have to ask this. have you tried printing with any other programs on that machine.

Also what version of Solidworks are you running.

John Pesaturo

Current version and service pack will be under help/about solid works, then it will look like this ...

Only reason I ask is that Windows10 has had issues running anything prior to SW2015 SP5.0 if I recall correctly. Just figured it would be best to check versions/service packs first if it's an issue.

John Pesaturo

If your version and service pack are good you could double check your setting here ...

but if you can print from the model and not a drawing that seems odd. I think it should be the same settings regardless of where you are printing from.

John Pesaturo

Gotcha ... Sorry it wasn't an easy fix. Here's hoping it's something silly. I'm sure everyone will chime in with Shut Down/Restart your machine and so on but I'm only on SW2016 with Windows7 so my assistance is limited at this point.

Free bump to the top of the list for some assistance from someone running SW2017 on a Windows10 machine.

Tom Gagnon

Can you print to a PDF file, using a PDF creating print driver?

Can you save drawing as a PDF instead?

Can you then print a PDF you've created?

Not a fix, just suggestions.

Tommy Greene

I let the computer sit over night the problem seems to have disappeared. Thanks for all the suggestions it really is appreciated. 

Joseph Sensenig

we have two users here that are having trouble printing. the printer properties dialog box will not pop up, and the page setup box does not have the proper options, such as system settings or document settings.

the printer can be selected, and it will print one copy.

The trouble is, they can only print one, and no more. Selecting anything else still only prints one copy.

We did a SW repair, also reinstalled printer driver, but no difference.

we can print to pdf, and print multiple from there, but I'd like to get to the bottom of this if we can.

Tom Gagnon

That sounds like a serious problem that you should involve your VAR with. I suggest calling tech support.

Joseph Sensenig

I have been in contact with them. They have not seen the problem before, and aren't sure what to suggest, so I thought I'd see if anyone else has an idea.

Rick McDonald

How are the printers connected to the users?

Network computer, each have their own printer, printer attached through USB?

Do any other users use the same printer in the same way?

I am assuming it is a network printer and it seems more like a network problem - like the request is going to the network printer and using the driver settings on that network computer.

If others are sharing the same network computer and don't have the problems then I would think it is a setting that is wrong and done the same on both of the computers that have the problem.

Is is possible to direct connect the printer to one of the bad computers and see if you can correctly load the drivers again and connect and print correctly, then do the same to the other and then return it to the network and use that printer through the network.

just some suggestions to try to isolate the issue.

Tom Gagnon

The problem that I see as most troubling is the lack of functionality within the Print dialog box and its Page Setup box. It's weird enough that I vastly generalized it as above my experience to diagnose, and I'm sorry for you that you got the same response from your VAR.

Since you've already done a SW Repair, all that I could suggest is either a thorough uninstall and reinstall, or equivalently a registry backup, Solidworks wipe from it, and restart Solidworks to recreate all relevant registry entities. I'll try to find a link to that post (registry wipe) and edit it in here.

I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, but found these: https://forum.solidworks.com/docs/DOC-1014 and https://forum.solidworks.com/docs/DOC-1463 but both of those are over 6 years old. I thought I had something about this bookmarked but cannot find it now. The gist is, delete all folders in registry named Solidworks, and then starting Solidworks will recreate them. I hope someone else can chime in with more exact details which I could not find, or advice to the contrary if this won't help at all.

Douglas Folk

Joseph -

Have you found a solution?

Jeremy Freeland

I recently got a new computer and was having print issues where the print window would come up but wouldn't let me print or close out of the window using the "close" button. When I would "X" out of the window it would then print the whole document even if I only wanted to print one page. I discovered it was my default printer setting that was causing the problem. Try setting your printer default to a different printer for your computer and see if this corrects the problem.