5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2009 3:17 AM by 1-7UEHFD

2008/09 Student edition capadible with my laptop?

Ethan Simonton
      I have recently been considering buying Solidworks Student edition. I don't want to buy it and find out that it doesn't work with my computer. I have looked at the System requirements and it looks like I should be fine. The thing I'm worried about is my graphics card. Here are my laptop specs. Please let me know if I will be able to run solidworks on it. Thanks for the help. Ethan
      Intel Celeron Processor 575
      2.00 GHz, 667MHz FSB, 1MB Cache
      2048MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
      Expandable up to 3072MB with 2 accessible memory slots
      Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD (shared) with up to 765MB Total Available Graphics Memory
      160GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive (SATA)
      Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic with Service Pack 1
        • 2008/09 Student edition capadible with my laptop?
          Jeff Mirisola
          SolidWorks may run on it, but not well.
          Your OS isn't supported (it needs to be a Vista business edition or XP Pro)
          Your graphics card isn't supported/approved.
          There's a pretty good chance that SolidWorks won't even load onto your system so, I guess the short answer to your question is no.
            Ethan

Call up your local VAR and ask for a trial version. If you can run that without any problems then you should be ok to buy.
              I'm running SolidWorks on a 3 year old laptop with an HP Compaq Persario with Intel Celeron M, 2GB RAM, and an Intel GM 945 integrated graphics chip set. For what I'm doing with my students SolidWorks runs fine. I lose a lot on the graphics display, and I regularly crash my laptop on the few occasions when I run PhotoWorks and Floworks.

The interesting thing is that SolidWorks runs smoother on my HP that the much newer Acer Aspire with Pentium Dual Core, 2GB RAM abd an Intel GM965 integrated graphics chip set.

I wish that SolidWorks would optimize the program to run on lower end machines. I can't afford a new laptop and I'm running into issues at school trying to get our old P4 machines to run 2008. The YRDSB is considering pulling the plug on my SolidWorks program because of the hardware requirements. Many of my students are complaining as well. They can not afford workstation grade laptops or computers.

At the same time for the simple tasks you will be doing while learning SolidWorks would not strain your computer too much.