20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2009 6:22 PM by Calvin Nelson

Multiple Sheet Preview Ballooons

We use multiple sheets on all of our drawings. I just downloaded SW 2009 SP1.0 and there are now preview balloons that pop up when I hover over the tabs. Is there a way to turn this option off?
        • Multiple Sheet Preview Ballooons
          Toby Robinson
          I have tried to turn off that stupid balloon that pops up but have not found an option to turn it off. Any one else have any luck in turning it off?
            Josh Krumheuer
            I'd like to know too. The preview is incorrect and it just gets in the way more than anything. I've dug around in the options but haven't seen an obvious way of shutting it off.
              Chris Haar
              I get the value of it Solidworks... but really, it soaks up resources that could be used else where. Turn them off!
                Matt Lombard
                Guys, c'mon, you don't understand. These are smart people doing stuff for YOU. They know what you need more than you do. Remember, if Henry Ford gave you what you want, you'd just be riding a very fast horse. Change is in the air, and sometimes that just means random change, without anyone asking for it or without any benefit. Why do you resist progress and innovation?
                    Joel Bickel
                    I'm not on 2009 yet, but could that be part of the tooltips?
                        Toby Robinson
                        Enhancement request that is a good one I need a laugh today.
                        Joel good ideal about the tool tips but no luck the preview is still there.
                            Jim Wilkinson
                            Hi All,

These were implemented so that you can see what is on a particular tab before choosing to switch to that tab. Although we are continually improving the speed of switching to another drawing tab, depending on what model changes have been made, there will always be times when it will take some time to switch to another sheet, so the previews are of benefit in those cases.

A couple of questions relating to why you feel these are annoying:
                            1) Do you know under what circumstances the preview is incorrect? Is it only in cases where the sheet has not yet updated based on model changes (expected) or are there other cases where it is unexpected? Any information on when it is incorrect is appreciated.
                            2) There are two things I find problematic with the previews which I will look into having fixed:
                            a) the previews show up immediately when you mouse over a tab, without a delay. They should have a delay like other tooltips so they don't pop up just as you swipe your mouse across the tabs to go elsewhere.
                            b) The previews are very large. I think that half the size or even smaller would be suitable

Of course, we could add an option to turn them off, but I would prefer to get the behavior of them correct instead of adding an option so no one would really need to turn them off.

Thanks,
                            Jim
                                Ed Gebo
                                Good day Jim

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

1) Do you know under what circumstances the preview is incorrect? Is it only in cases where the sheet has not yet updated based on model changes (expected) or are there other cases where it is unexpected? Any information on when it is incorrect is appreciated.
                                Jim

Haven't seen this yet.

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

2) There are two things I find problematic with the previews which I will look into having fixed:
                                a) the previews show up immediately when you mouse over a tab, without a delay. They should have a delay like other tooltips so they don't pop up just as you swipe your mouse across the tabs to go elsewhere.
                                Jim

Perhaps changing the delay would be good...at first I thought it was fine.

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

b) The previews are very large. I think that half the size or even smaller would be suitable
                                Jim

Size is ok...maybe an option to specify preferred size for us blind folks.

Originally posted by: Jim WilkinsonOf course, we could add an option to turn them off, but I would prefer to get the behavior of them correct instead of adding an option so no one would really need to turn them off.
                                Jim

A few of my associates don't like the preview and would prefer to turn them off. You know what the saying is...can't please everyone.

Mark Kaiser

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

I've had it be incorrect on fully resolved up to date no changes assemblies, but, I'm not working with an approved graphics card, so I'm sure that's the problem (or will get blamed). Can we turn it off, please?

If you don't know what's on the sheet you shouldn't be looking at the drawing, hah!
                                      Toby Robinson
                                      I have not been able to nail down what cases the preview to be incorrect and to be frank that is not my job.

Like Ed said you can't please everyone so why not give people the option to use it or not?
                                      There might be some people that find the preview useful but why force people that have no need for it to use it?

As far as the size it is already too small to see any useful information. I can tell that there is a section view but can not make out any of the text to know what section view it is.
                                      In the end to get any useful information I end up having to change sheets.

The main thing that is annoying is I have no need for them there for I don't want to see them. Let the users that have to make a living using the software decided how they want there copy of the software to look and not some programmer.

As far as the size it is already too small to see any useful information. I can tell that there is a section view but can not make out any of the text to know what section view it is.

I don't think that the purpose of them was to be able to see details, just to be able to see a general gist of what was on that tab.

I think I'd be content with a delay in displaying the preview, but an option to turn it off altogether would be nice too. I appreciate what they were trying to do with the preview balloons, but some people just don't need them.
                                        Calvin Nelson

I have noticed it predominately with drawings created in a previous version of SW, even after complete rebuilds and saving in 09. When I talk of incorrect, I don't mean that it is displaying and older verion of that particular sheet. I mean that it is showing the wrong sheet, i.e. SHT 5 when I hover over SHT 2's tab. Sometimes, it shows a blended preview of multiple sheets.

A delay sounds good, although as mentioned elsewhere, a user definable delay would be best, with the option to turn off completely, preferably through a command which cna be mapped to a hotkey. My drawings I knwo well enough to go to the right page right away, so i don't want previews. However, when I am updating someone else's work, the previews are helpful until I get familiar with their layout.

Thanks,
                                        Calvin

SW09 2.1
                                        SWEPDM09 2.0
                                  Chris Haar
                                  Jim-
                                  Thanks for taking the time to chime in here.

My suggestion: Make them half the size, and set a longer delay. i.e. if you hover for 1-2 seconds (or allow us to set the delay to a set time), that brings up the balloon and you can see them on all sheets, if you just hover over slightly (or accidentally) you don't get the balloons. That way, you satisfy both not wanting them on, and having the ability to preview sheets.

Since you're in the forum commenting on threads, have you happened to notice the "When is solidworks going to focus on Drawings?" thread?

I have many many thoughts on this one.

Thanks again,
                                  Chris
                                    Josh Krumheuer
                                    I'm using an approved video card, but my drivers were outdated. Once I updated those to the latest approved set the previews displayed correctly. I do agree with Jim's suggestions though. A delay would be really nice. It does get annoying when i happen to slide my mouse over them and i get the preview instantly.
                                      Chris Haar
                                      I noticed in SP3.0 (maybe even sooner...) that my suggestions had been taken! Thanks! The delay is a lot better, and the images are smaller. Perfect.