14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2009 3:19 AM by Ice Private

2009 SP1.0 Fatal Error during installation (1603-0).

tony kirkpatrick
      I am pleased that it works for some people, but does anyone know why some of us get this Fatal Error during installation (1603-0). And how do we get around it.
        • 2009 SP1.0 Fatal Error during installation (1603-0).
          Jeff Mirisola
          Make sure that the affected users have Admin privledges on their machines. Also be sure to make sure that there isn't a program that's locked up during the install.
          I would suggest, too, checking the knowledge base to see if there isn't some more info there.
              tony kirkpatrick
              Jeff
              I am installing on a standalone machine the install get as far as putting new icon on desktop, deleting old icon almost finished then for some annoying reason just rolls back everything it has done.
                  Jeff Mirisola
                  It sounds like you're doing an upgrade (from '08?). If so, you should actually do a 'clean' install.
                  .First, run the copy settings wizard.
                  .Uninstall '08, including any install folders under C:\Program Files (or rename them).
                  .Go to Start->Run and type in regedit. This will start the registry editor. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER expand the software folder and delete any SolidWorks and SRAC folders.

When you go to install your new version, make sure your anti-virus is turned off.
                      Brian Wall
                      I too am having this issue when applying the offline service pack 1.0 to Solidworks 2009. This was initially a upgrade from 2008 SP 4.0 to 2009 SP 0.0, then running the offline SP 0.0 to 1.0. If you cannot successfully upgrade solidworks from 2008 to 2009, why would it be an option in the installer?

I have uninstalled solidworks from my system, and reinstalled it again, but I still generate the error when applying the service pack. Jeff, I did not see your post suggesting that you use the copy settings wizard and delete the Machine and Users solidworks registry information, but it looks like I will be trying that next.

Has anyone else found the actual reason why this is happening? I have 15 more users to upgrade to 2009 and if I have to unistall and then reinstall for all of them, it is going to become a real pain in my ass, instead of just running the upgrade. BTW, I am not using the sw installer, all offline installations.
                          Tim R
                          Tony/Brian,
                          Just for reference, did you install 2009 from the DVD or the downloaded image from the Solidworks site? I am having the same problem, Fatal Error -1603, on my dual boot system under 32 bit XP and I installed 2009 there from the downloaded file from the Solidworks.com site. I installed Service Pack 1 with no problem at all on the Vista 64 bit side but I had installed 2009 from the DVD there. I am guessing it has something to do with that.. possibly the downloaded install doesn't set a registry flag/setting like it should?

-Tim
                    John Lhuillier
                    I get the same thing on 2 machines both running XP SP2 and both installed from the download. I haven't had a chance to wipe out the download install and do a fresh install from the DVD but was told by SW that the download was supposed to be able to be upgraded especially since SP1 was out before we even got our DVD.
                        Derek Bishop
                        I also get this installation error while trying to install SW 2008-0 from the dvd:

It says The MSI file E:\swexplorer\SolidWorks Explorer.msi did not install successfully. Code 1603

Once this error occurs a number of the other addins will not get installed including Cosmos. MS does provide some information about changing some of the security settings for SYSTEM. THis is really applicable to installing windows but since it was the same error code I tried the dame thing. It didn't work.

I've googled this and notice a number of other people with the same problem. So far I've wasted a day trying to reinstall 2008 and 2009 with the latest upgrades. Installing new software should not be this hard!
                        John Lhuillier
                        Which windows file did you delete. I did a complete uninstall of 2009 and deleted all the registry settings. Then installed from the DVD and still get the same results. Why is Solidworks making installing their software so difficult. It was this way during beta testing and the SPs downloaded or at least attempted to download and STILL IS A PAIN IN THE !#*$)(#!*)( END. It has been a huge failure to update this program ever since they went and attempted to use the windows installer and they still have no clue how to get it right. Going back to the installshield installer would be a HUGE improvement over the crap they have now.
                            Derek Bishop
                            Spent all of today again trying to uninstall and install the software. Tried the cleanup programs supplied by SW and though they got rid of some files they didn't get rid of many others. One of the programs would not run.

I'm still not finished. Uninstalling the software is harder than installing it.

Here is my advice on the procedure for uninstalling the software:

1. Transfer the license off the machine. If you forget that step you may have to reinstall the software just to transfer the license from the machine.

2. Go to add / remove programs and unistall all of the SW programs. This takes a while and normally doesn't get everything the first time. It typically took me several tries of removing the program to get rid of th SW icons from the program list.

3. Go through and delete any thing that remains in the various file locations. This includes in my documents, program files, program files 86. Make sure you don't delete any of your custom files. I like to put all of them in one folder.

4 Delete all of the SW files from the registry. This includes those under the software folder such including scrac, edrawings etc.

If you can get the SW cleanup programs to run I'd probably run them after 2 and still check all the other things.

A final note is that are a huge number of temparary folder that SW creates. I had thousands. These were only picked up by the SW cleanup programs. There may
                            be some use for these programs after all.

Most of my installation problems related to the incompatibility of the software and the version of Solidworks being installed.

As a parting shot, allow yourself plenty of time (in my case days rather than hours) to do a major uninstal and reinstall.
                            John Lhuillier
                            I did get 2009 to upgrade to SP1. It seems like they are forcing us to use the installation manager now since we all have time to waste while using it. I had to do a repair install and use the installation manager rather than the windows installer like I've done for every other release before this one. I hate the installation manager since it takes longer than the windows installer to do the install.
                                Brian McElmury
                                So let see the easier way out on the possible upgrade to Sp 01 would be ???????? format c:\
                                    Brian Wall
                                    I am not sure if people are still having this issue, but I beleive I have found the reason for the error. It would seem that everyone having this issue are installing without the Installation Manager. I think the problem is that you are missing one or more of the Solidworks 2009 PreReqs. Check and make sure that you have all of them installed, (they can be found on the installation disk in the directory \PreReqs). In the past these were installed automatically, and they still are if you use the installation manager, but if your like me and think the installation manager is garbage, you will need to manually install these. If you had a previous version of Solidworks installed, you probably have most of the prerequisites except \PreReqs\VSTA\vsta_aide.msi. That was the one that caused me my issues.

I hope this helps.
                                  Ice Private
                                  hello,
                                  the 1603 code error is microsoft error, basically you don't have full access to the folder where the SW is installed. Had the same problem. So I disabled few running processes and the installation went forward. If it still plays, then disable all licensing running services (for SW) in the Admin tools.
                                  Bills explanation of 1603 -0 error:
                                  You may receive this error message if any one of the following conditions is true:

* The folder that you are trying to install the Windows Installer package to is encrypted.
                                  * The drive that contains the folder that you are trying to install the Windows Installer package to is accessed as a substitute drive.
                                  * The SYSTEM account does not have Full Control permissions on the folder that you are trying to install the Windows Installer package to. You notice the error message because the Windows Installer service uses the SYSTEM account to install software.