3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2008 8:17 AM by Jason Aspinall

Surface cut

Jason Aspinall
      So I have a small abs case I need to make a positioning jig for. The jig needs to be a reasonably good fit into one aperture of the case, with an overhang that has to match the surface profile of the case with a minimal offset.

The attached picture: I've highlighted the two faces I need to use as the cutting surfaces. While I have no problem offsetting them either as zero or say 0.1mm, I cannot seem to use them if I then apply a cut with surface on the underside of the overhang you see in the picture (exploded 12.5mm upwards for clarity).

I've created the jig in context within the assembly... Any pointers gratefully received.
        • Surface cut
          Charles Culp
          Cut with surface won't work, because they are two surfaces, not one. If I was going to do this, I would create a second body, a "cutting body" and then use the "combine" tool, to subtract the cutting body from the jig.

One way to do this is to offset those cutting surfaces. Then "thicken" those surfaces to make them a solid body. Then you can use "combine" to subtract it from the jig.
          • Surface cut
            Jason Aspinall
            Hmm, having difficulty here taking those two surfaces and creating a new body in its own right. If I select both faces, zero offset them, then thicken them by 3mm (arbitrary figure) with the merge option enabled, I seem to get a new body feature embedded with my original part file, as you would expect. I cannot however hide/surpress the rest of the model, leaving just my newly merged body so I can export that out as a parasolid file, to then insert into my jig part.

Seems the combine function only works on multi-body parts, not assemblies...
            • Surface cut
              Jason Aspinall
              Ok, problem "solved". Rather than extend my jig face through the case design, to use some of the case surfaces to trim the jig back, I simply made the overhanging section of the jig thick enough to then drop some boss-extrude to surfaces instead. I had to split the overhang down the centre to marry up with the split faces/surface of the casework, but hey... Got there