5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2008 2:23 PM by Frans Soetomo

Coordinate System - SolidWorks Default

Frans Soetomo
      I was wondering, back in the ol' AutoCAD days, there was the default coordinate system. I forgot the name, World Coordinate System (WCS)? Where the (0,0,0) is the origin of the system, and x, y, and x axes are default Cartesian (x to the right, y to the top, z normal to the screen). Does SolidWorks have this kind of 'default corrdinate system'?

The reason I ask: I want to create Table Driven Pattern using this simple default coordinate, but I can't find it. Sure, I can create a new coordinate system, but it would involve I need to create a dummy sketch with x and y axes first (the face I am going to place my Table Driven Pattern happens to be a circular face, hence I have no straight edges to specify the x and y directions). I was wondering if there is a simpler way of doing this.
        • Coordinate System - SolidWorks Default
          Mark Matthews
          Yes there is a default coordinate system. It's listed in the feature tree right after the default planes as "Origin" Y is up. As far as I know, coordinates imported from a text file or spread sheet will use this origin by default.
              Frans Soetomo
              Thanks for the reply. Sorry in the delay in responding.

SolidWorks will give me this message: "A table pattern needs a coordinate system to define its transformaions."

I can't select the 'Origin' you mentioned above. Did I miss something here?
                  Tony Cantrell
                  From the help menu.

Coordinate System
                  You can define a coordinate system for a part or assembly. Use this coordinate system with the Measure and Mass Properties tools, and for exporting SolidWorks documents to IGES, STL, ACIS, STEP, Parasolid, VRML, and VDA.

To create a coordinate system:

Click Coordinate System on the Reference Geometry toolbar, or click Insert, Reference Geometry, Coordinate System.

Use the Coordinate System PropertyManager to create the coordinate system.

You can amend your selections:

To change your selections, right-click in the graphics area and select Clear Selections.

To reverse the direction of an axis, click its Reverse Axis Direction button in the PropertyManager.

Click OK .

Charles Culp
                Frans,

To the best of my knowledge, you have to create a coordinate system to use the Table Driven Pattern. Yes, SW does have a default coordinate system. If you use the "coordinate system" tool as Tony details above, you can then just create a coordinate system, and not change any of the parameters. It will create a coordinate system based on the default axes.