3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2008 1:28 AM by Jeremy Feist

Virtual documents

Brandon Waggoner
      I talked to my VAR the other day briefly and they made a comment about virtual parts. So, I've been looking into them a bit more. Sadly documentation is poor and I'm not finding much. :frown;
      Q. If I create a virtual part that has custom properties in it. Then I later create a model of that part. Is it possible to replace the new part with the virtual one and take the properties of the virtual part? Is this not the intention of a virtual file?

Thanks in advance.
        • Virtual documents
          Jeremy Feist
          my unnderstanding of virtual parts says you would not make another part and then try to replace it with the virtual one.

you would start with the virtual part in your assembly, and when you wanted to make it an official part, you would right click on the part in the tree and save it as an external file - probably to your vault. the part stays the same, it is just saved differently.
            • Virtual documents
              Brandon Waggoner
              Well that was fun. In trying what you said, I got an error message, SW crashed, tried to reproduce the error and got a different result, while trying to reply to the message my internet timmed out and lost the message.
              I'm thinking someone is trying to tell me it's time to go home for the day.

When I insert my virtual doc.sldprt.cvd into an assembly it comes in as an OLE object. I'm guessing that isn't the result I should be getting.
                • Virtual documents
                  Jeremy Feist
                  what version/sp are you running? I recently found out that 2008SP4.0 fixed alot of virtual component issues.

and just to be clear, when I make a virtual component it is by expanding the flyout of the insert component button, and selecting "new part".