AnsweredAssumed Answered

New to an old job.

Question asked by Simon Brooke on Nov 3, 2008
Latest reply on Nov 3, 2008 by Charles Culp
Hi,
Off-the-shelf software and Windows running on PCs practically lost me my job, as CAD Administrator, about ten years ago and I was forced to take up mechanical engineering. The time has come though, when, once more, there is a need for an admin role. Supporting users and, more interestingly, knitting together CAD, MRP, PDM etc. with APIs etc. Rewarding and interesting work.
On the 'supporting users' side, network speed is always a thorn in the side, but there is rarely much we can do about it. For a couple of users though, it can take up to fifteen minutes to login and start SolidWorks (I know, I've sat through the agony). Over the years we have gone with all our VAR's glib get outs; "Are you running the latest service pack?", "Do you have SolidWorks recommended hardware?", "... have enough RAM?", "... CPU?" etc. etc. The answer is always "yes, we do/have/are" and if it's not we upgrade. All to no avail.
What I'd like to know, is what is REALLY causing this delay? Can anyone recommend a way, perhaps beyond the task manager, to visualise what's going on. during startup, through login, loading SolidWorks and beyond? Is it network chatter? If so, from which process?... I'd love to be able to go back to the IT department and say something like, "the problem is an over zealous anti-virus program, scrutinising each and every network packet, be they destined for the PC in question or not."
Has anyone else seen this problem and cracked it?

Thanks for your help.

Outcomes