26 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2012 11:05 AM by Doug Liles

PDM Enterprise vs. Smarteam

Dear friends,
      I am looking for changing from PDM WorkGroups to PDM Enterprise or Smarteam. I have a lot of doubts.
      We are five engineers in my department and we have to manage a lot of documents (drawings, assembly, parts, docs, pdf, etc.) and a lot of procedures (validation drawings, manufacturing prototype, developing whole project,...) so we need a structure automatical workflows. Also, we create BOM to upload to ERP.

My doubt is about which software is better for us.
      Any helps is welcome.
      Thanks in advance and regards.

DaviD.
        • PDM Enterprise vs. Smarteam
          Raymond Pearson
          I am only familar with SmarTeam. I believe they both have workflow and would support Office documents. The main diference in SmarTeam is that it supports many CAD platforms and PDM Enterprise would only have a direct interface to SolidWorks and possibly AutoCAD.

SmarTeam has direct interface to SolidWorks, SolidEdge, Catia, Pro-E (extra cost), ...etc. Does your organization deal with many projects in different CAD platforms?

Cost of ownership. SmarTeam is very expensive and requires a tremendous effort to get it to do what you want. It's strength of customization is also a weakness. No one at SmarTeam will tell you how to use it, and you will face high consultant fees.

Hardware - Count on maintaining at least 3 high end servers.
            Devon Sowell
            Hello David-

A few months ago, I was involved in the implementation where the customer switched from SmarTeam to Enterprise PDM.

I've never used SmarTeam, but the customer was very pleased at the ease of implementation and especially at the cost savings vs SmarTeam.

If you have any specific questions about this senario, I'll do my best to answer them.

Nur Kholish Majid
              Hi Joy & Devon...

Sometimes I got catia files form my client, how to handle this file use Enterprise PDM ?

Any ideas !!!

Thanks
                Nur Kholish Majid
                Hi Devon,

No problem.
                Lets wait from another enterprise users on how to handle catia file.

I wish there is a way....

Thanks
                  Nur Kholish Majid
                  Hi Tood,

So the problem is only one : NO PREVIEW
                  Is there any catia viewer ?

As you know, solidworks have free "solidworks viewer"

Thanks
                    Jeff Sweeney
                    You can get viewers to view Catia if you need one. I know AutoVue can be used as a Catia viewer inside of Enterprise.
                      Ben Kalinowski
                      David,

We use PDM Enterprise along with our office in Sweden who changed from SmarTeam. I can't say I have experience using SmarTeam, but I do know that our Sweden office was usually about 1 year behind on SolidWorks releases because SmarTeam's updated weren't timely. This really made things difficult when we started sharing designs and they were on SW06 and we were on SW07. SmarTeam kept promising a fix in 3 months, then another 3 months....

I also remember hearing it was quite expensive.

So, that's what I've seen & heard...good luck in your decision!
                        Nur Kholish Majid
                        H Jeff....

Where I can download AutoVue for free ?
                        I have tried searching on the web but cant find it.

-Thanks
                          Nur Kholish Majid
                          Hi Anna...

Thanks for the link.

Hi Jeff...

Would you like to describe how you can make autovue as pdme viewer ?
                          Which type of autovue do you have ?

Thanks
                            Alessandro Frattini

DaviD Sanchez wrote:

Dear friends,

I am looking for changing from PDM WorkGroups to PDM Enterprise or Smarteam. I have a lot of doubts.

We are five engineers in my department and we have to manage a lot of documents (drawings, assembly, parts, docs, pdf, etc.) and a lot of procedures (validation drawings, manufacturing prototype, developing whole project,...) so we need a structure automatical workflows. Also, we create BOM to upload to ERP.

My doubt is about which software is better for us.

Any helps is welcome.

Thanks in advance and regards.

DaviD.

Why don't you try DBWorks ?
                            I think it's the best solution for SolidWorks PDM.
                            Bosch is a big company that has many out sourcing, use DBWorks.
                            We use DBWorks and some my friends PDMWorks Enterprise, but when we talk about those software, I think DBWorks is better.
                            Maybe the PDMWE UI is more appealing, but I evaluate the software from his capabilities.

Alessandro
                                Thank all of you becuase of your posts. I will take on consideration, of course.

By the other hand, I guess TeamCenter solution should not be considerated at all.

Best regards!
                                DaviD.
                                    Nur Kholish Majid
                                    Hi jeff... I have tried check in catia assembly and the parts. But when i click the assy, look at the bom, the bom only appear 1 file. The assy its self. Would you like to give me tips so the bom will appear normal like sw files, please...
                                        Nur Kholish Majid
                                        Hi all...any body can share experience on working with catia file please...thanks!
                                            Lucas Dexter
                                            David,
                                            I am reading these posts and can not keep quiet when it comes to comparing Smarteam with EPDM. We TRIED to implement Smarteam for three years and the only thing we accomplished was to pay our VAR and their consultants hundreds of thousands of dollars. We run a medium sized shop with about 120 Solidworks users and 60 AutoCAD users.
                                            I first saw Conisio at a conference our VAR hosted and was immediately impressed with the eas of use. I convinced management to pitch Smarteam and to start over with EPDM. We implemented in about 1.5 years and it would have been much shorter if we did not have to wait until the x64 version came out.

With my experience there is no question you can not compare the two products.

If you are looking for these qualities choose Smarteam:
                                            1) a million $ solution
                                            2) difficult to manage
                                            3) difficult to use
                                            4) very cumbersome
                                            5) difficult to implement
                                            6) etc., etc., etc.

If you are looking for these qualities choose EPDM:
                                            1) reletively low cost to implement and maintain
                                            2) simple to maintain
                                            3) simple to use
                                            4) awesome gui
                                            5) built in workflow (not an add-in that cost even more money) that is simple and straight forward
                                            6) etc., etc., etc.

Simply put, EPDM works exactly how a PDM system should work; for the user, not the consulting firms.
                                                Jason Capriotti
                                                The one thing we have to have that makes us lean away from PDMWE is item management. We needs separate items and bom product structure that is separate from the CAD structure.

All because we build parametric products that have many many many options. Our cad models can't show and contain every conceivable option and thus its structure doesn't have everything. Not too mention we build sub-assemblies in SolidWorks to make it easy to work in but they have no part numbers. So we need two product structure trees, Items and CAD.

PDMWE is adding items...just waiting to see how it and of it works. Otherwise we may be forced down the Smarteam, Teamcenter, or Agile route.
                                                  Lucas,
                                                  thanks a lot of...
                                                  Your explanation is very clear and helps to me very much.

Regards!
                                                  DaviD.
                                                  • Re: PDM Enterprise vs. Smarteam
                                                    Doug Liles

Lucas, I know this is an old thread but I second everything you've said.  We're using SmartSCREAM and it is putrid at best. I spent 1.5 days checking in a 3 models with about 100 parts each.  SmarTeam and SolidWorks are a disaster!!!!!!  We spent the money for SW 2009 but were unable to use it because ST and SW2009 wouldn't work with 64 bit machines. You would think that would have been a huge priority for ST but they couldn't solve it! Amazing since they are both Dassault products. 50+ subscription fees down the toilet!!  There hasn't been an update to the user interface since I've been using it (3 years).

SMARTEAM IS EPICALLY BAD!!!  We're evaluating getting away from it after years of torture.