6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2008 8:05 PM by Beth Galang

Dimensioning 180° angles for Mfg Drawing

Beth Galang
      On our Manufacturing drawings we occasionally need to dimension a tube that is bent 180°. The radius is dimensioned and then the bend is dimensioned from beginning of bend to end of bend (180°). We are unable to get a consistent result. I know it seems unnecessary, but our assemblers require it. What is the trick to creating this type of dimension?
        • Dimensioning 180° angles for Mfg Drawing
          Eddie Cyganik

Beth,

Are you looking for the "arc length"?

If so, can you select the arc in the drawing and then perform a "use edge" (Sketch Command) to convert the entity?

I realize companies do things in many ways, but by specifying the tube diameter, radius & angle, this should be all that is necessary.
            Beth Galang
            Nope, not looking for arc length. I know it seems redundant to have the angle on the drawing, but manufacturing can sometimes get set in their way. They like to visually see a dimension on the drawing that shows a 180° angle just as any lesser angle would be shown.
                Eddie Cyganik

Okay Beth,

I apologize. I misunderstood the question.

So, to provide for the dimension, input two constuction or centerlines starting from the center of the bend, then dimension as 180°.
                Oh, that won't work because the lines are concident. Dumb Solidworks cannot figure that out.

Seriously, ...perform the same task except this time place one of the lines such that it starts at the center of the bend but is obviously more or less the 180°. Next place the dimension (it will now be an angle) then modify to be 180°.

Of course, this would best be done in a sketch in part mode, then you can simply import the result.

Good time for an ER. SW could provide an "Angle Dimension" on the Pop-Up menu for "More Dimensions". When selected, 180° should be possible without all the hoopla!