3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2008 1:50 AM by Bill McEachern

Defining faces of surfaces as shells in 2009?

Bennie Buys
      In 2008 it was possible to select the split faces of surfaces and define them separateley as shells although it was only 1 surface body. How do we do it it 2009 as you can only define different surface bodies as shells.

For example we had a duct going a complex route so we used a 3D sketch and used the sweep surface command. After that different faces was generated on this sweep body by splitting the body with the curve/split line function. These different faces could previously selected and defined as different shells.

Is it still possible in 2009?
        • Defining faces of surfaces as shells in 2009?
          Derek Bishop
          I saw a demonstration using 2009simulation and there is a new feature that allows you to split a surface in the simulation screen when adding loads. That will be handy ... when I can manage to get the program running on my machine.
            Leonardo Pinhel
            In my opinion, they just messed up with a nice function from previous versions. This thing of not being able to manually select faces from bodies, whatever surface or solid, to make shells or beans, was a shot in the foot. Most of my analysis now O can not do! need to manualy create dozens of surfaces! an Absurd!
              Bill McEachern
              one way to get around this limitation that I ffound was to export as STEP and set the switches on import so that no knitting and no attempt to form solid and then you get pretty much all the faces as bodies. Anyway I exported it and ran back to 2008 and did the job in that. I have to agree with the last poster - they did not really think this one through that well. They don't use the stuff anymore (not that they used ComsosWorks much anyway in the former SRAC consulting group) so they can miss the subtleties required necessary to get real work done. How would you do a doubler or a repad that way it is now in a shell model? I suppose you could do a face bonded contact but it hardly seems elegant and one would have to wonder about how that was actually being done as they don't give much feedback on that either - what gets connected to what.