8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2008 5:12 PM by Jennifer Bahnsen

PDMWE Performance

Jennifer Bahnsen
      We are having performance problems with PDMWE - sluggishness when browsing, freezing up, replicating to offices in other countries. We have recently moved the database to it's own server and just upgraded to PDMWE 2008 over the weekend. Reports from the users is that it is no better after these changes that were supposed to improve performance.

Does anyone else have problems like this? What have you done to improve it? How did you go about pinpointing the problem?

I'm particulary interested in hearing from anyone who has offices in multiple locations, especially in other countries (China in particular.)

Thanks,
        • PDMWE Performance
          Todd Puckett
          Hi Jennifer,
          I think we have a similar setup and I think you may have 2 separate issues.
          We moved our database server to a much better server in February and our situation improved greatly. The new server is Server2003 x64 with 12 Gb RAM and 2 dual core zeon processors. I would check task manager to see what your memory usage is. If MS SQL isn't happy then no one is happy.
          We have replicated archive servers in Shanghai, China and Canada. A higher latency makes the system feel unresponsive and "sluggish". You can check the latency by doing a ping test. (ping test today to Shanghai was 396 ms) I think 2008 works best with a latency less than 250ms, I heard this was improved in PDMWE 2009.
          Our office in China has the best connect we could get but it is very inconsistent. It works well most the time and the users are happy. You can look at the Event Viewer (ConisioArchiveServerLog) to see if replication is having problems. We have users use the web client when the connection is poor.

Todd Puckett
          • PDMWE Performance
            Jeff Sweeney
            A good test is to install the client software on the database server. How is the performance there? If you can browse pretty quickly on that machine, your network becomes your number one suspect. If browsing seems slow here, there are several tools in your SQL management studio that can tell you what SQL is doing.

(For security reasons, you may want to remove the client software after you are done.)
              • PDMWE Performance
                Todd Puckett
                Jeff,
                This is a good idea, but it will be hard to test since their archive server and database server are on separate servers.
                The client logs onto the archive server and the archive server accesses the database server. Using the network will be unavoidable.
              • PDMWE Performance
                Ben Kalinowski
                We have offices in Sweden and China which seem to be operating ok (I'm not hearing there is a problem). Granted our China office is mostly viewing files, but norally I would be the one to hear about problems.

It was bumpy when we installed and then upgraded from PDMWE07 to 08, but we just installed PDMWE08sp4 and things are still humming...(knock on wood!). We had to be a bit strategic about setting up replication times. We staggered them to try and keep this function to local off hours. We did have some issue with the local ISP over there which got worked out, but I unfortunately don't know the details.
                • PDMWE Performance
                  Jeff Sweeney
                  When on the database server, if you just browse, you are only touching the database, so the archive server element should be eliminated. Thus this is a great test for database speeds. (Make sure you do not have the preview tab active, 'cause that would no longer eliminate the archive performance)

Beings that the archive server is on another machine, you can test archive servers the same way. Make a local cache and (ignoring database performance) you can see how fast files come down from the local server...since it is the same machine this should be very, very fast, if it isn't that archive service is doggin.
                    • PDMWE Performance
                      Todd Puckett
                      Ah yes, it is a great test for "database speeds".

In my experiances if the performance issues are not company wide then it is usually related to the archive server that you are connected to. If it is a company wide issue then it is the database server.
                        • PDMWE Performance
                          Lucas Dexter
                          We experienced server 'freeze' after upgrading to 2008 SP3.0. We narrowed it down to the processor on the server, not memory. A little more research showed that the searches were the cause of the high processor utilization. One user performing one search made the processor hit 50% utilzation until the search was complete. Two users performing a search spiked the processor to 100% usage, etc. We were told by our VAR and SolidWorks that upgrading to SP4.0 would resolve the issue.
                          SP4.0 helped a little but not to the extent of what we were expecting. I received a tip from PCMC to add an asterisk (*) at the end of our search criteria. Adding an asterisk not only sped up the search by up to 90%, the processor never saw the search. In other words, the processor utilization never moved during the search with the asterisk. We have not experienced server freeze since I told all of our users about using the asterisk in their searches. I went as far as adding the asterisk to the search form so the users would not have to enter it manually.

Hope this bit of information helps.