7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2008 8:05 PM by sandeep pawar

Weld in SolidWorks

Rob Jensen
      I'm not a COSMOS person at all, but we were discussing about if COSMOS would recogonize a Fillet Bead in SOlidWorks..?

Anyone know for sure..?
        • Weld in SolidWorks
          sandeep pawar
          Rob,

COSMOS treats the weld bead as part of the model. It can not identify weld bead as a 'weld'. You will have to specify material properties and contact options on your own. You can explode the assembly and separate the bead from other parts.

It would be interesting to see how COSMOS can be used to perform weld analysis. I have never doen it.

~ Sandeep
          • Weld in SolidWorks
            sandeep pawar
            we can specify 'Spot Weld' connector but i dont think weld bead is necessary to define a weld.
            Can someone please shed some light on this.

Thanks,
            Sandeep
              • Weld in SolidWorks
                David Anderson
                in general, when analyzing weldments using FEA, it is not necessary to model and mesh the weld. infact, the weld joint should be left off the model and the structure can be analyzed as if it were "monlithic" or you can used bonded contact elements.

if you are looking to analyze a weldment as a whole structure often beam elements are used rather than tets due to their efficency and more appropriate formualtion. but they do not give good results of joint stresses. you can use the results of the beam element analysis to determine the loadings at the joints.

use FEA or simple closed form solutions for example s=M*c/I for a cantilever the joint is further analyzed for stress.

the stress results at the joints are used to specify the weld joint crossection. remeber for mild steel, the welding rod has a much higher yield strength so the weld bead is often stronger than the parent material. whether or not the welder performs a good weld is a different story, thus one has to incorporate workmanship into the MOS.

best,

dave
                  • Weld in SolidWorks
                    sandeep pawar
                    Thanks Dave.. can you suggest some resources to learn more about this.

Thanks,
                    Sandeep
                      • Weld in SolidWorks
                        David Anderson
                        hi sandeep,

there are texts on FEA but i cannot think of any titles off hand. FEA is tricky because not only do you have to learn how the software and applies loads, constraints, contacts etc you also have to learn how to interpret results which i know are different for different software.

My best advice is to glom on to a FEA expert and extract all you can couple that with performing simple hand cranks and even tests to verify your results. This way you will gain confidence in your results and know when to ingore certain types of geometry etc.

best of luck,

dave