4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2008 4:13 PM by Eddie Cyganik

Haunted EXCEL Worksheet

Nick Day
      I have an EXCEL worksheet in my drawing which represents part numbers, dimensions, etc. One of the columns (on the right side of the table) just WILL NOT show up on the drawing, and yet it is plainly in the worksheet. It's also visible in the drawing when I expand the worksheet area in SolidWorks. It just disappears when I finally close out of the worksheet.

Suggestions?
        • Haunted EXCEL Worksheet
          Charles Culp
          I am able to do it by:

1. Double clicking on the Excel table to edit the "excel OLE object".
          2. Resizing the viewing area to include all the cells that I want to show
          3. double click outside to exit out of the excel object

If that doesn't work for you, which version of Solidworks, which version of Excel, and which version of Windows are you running (32 or 64bit)?
              Nick Day
              Charles,

Fixed the problem by re-formatting and narrowing the columns in the EXCEL table.
              I don't know if there is a restriction on the total width of tables such as these, but the problem is solved. By the way, this is Solidworks 7 (SP5.0), EXCEL 2000, 32bit.

Thanks
              Yes this is a Microsoft limit, I do not remember the exact limit, but reducing the font of the cells was a work-around when we used Excel based BOMs in the early days of SolidWorks.
                Eddie Cyganik

Nick,

Wayne is correct, the issue is Micro$oft, not SolidWorks. The limit, believe it or not, is approximately 12". Why? Only M$ knows. The issue has been in their knowledge base forever.

Also, Charles suggested some of the only work-arounds that there are for this problem.

You'll find that this issue has been discussed many times in the Discussion Forum for: "Design Tables/Configs". I posted many requirements that SolidWorks should provide for and details on what can be done to overcome the short-fallings of M$ Excel.

The attachment is an M$ Word document I created in Aug 2000. It was made for our SW Users and was also submitted to SolidWorks at that time.

Sadly, nothing much has changed since then so don't hold your breath.

SolidWorks needs to provide their own solution to DTs like Pro/E has with their native program called Pro/Table. Sorry to say, but dealing with configurations in Pro/E is a pleasant experience, not to mention the additional benefits when inputting configs in an assembly.

Lastly, if SW is constantly straining to incorporate AutoCrap functionality, why can't they take a page from PTC to improve DTs?