21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 7:42 AM by Aleksandr Hohlatsov

"Input Dimension Value" unchecks itself

Bill Rose
      Has anyone else seen this? It will do this multiple times during a session. I have just recently noticed this problem and only since installing SP5.0 EV. I will try to go back to SP4.0 but it seems to be a less than trivial exercise..........Bill
        • "Input Dimension Value
          Wayne Tiffany
          Not here. Others turn off for various reasons, but I don't think I've ever seen that one.

WT
          • "Input Dimension Value
            Rob Jensen

Bill Rose wrote:

Has anyone else seen this? It will do this multiple times during a session. I have just recently noticed this problem and only since installing SP5.0 EV. I will try to go back to SP4.0 but it seems to be a less than trivial exercise..........Bill

That is odd..!!

This is exactly why I don't upgrade SP just because. We are on SP 3.0 and I'm not upgrading until there is a major problem and I need to. I've been burned in the past doing a upgrade that will fix one thing and break another....
              • "Input Dimension Value
                Bill Rose
                Rob,

Normally I wouldn't have done this but I was trying to fix another problem that was supposedly addressed in SP5 (toolbars moving between sessions). Not only did SP5 not fix that problem but it added this one. Now I can't go back to SP4 without starting from scratch. Never again!.....Bill
                  • "Input Dimension Value
                    Dan Riffell
                    Interesting. The toolbar issue was supposed to be a non-issue. I wonder how many other folks are seeing that one still.
                      • "Input Dimension Value
                        Here is a macro you can assign to a hot key that will check it when you notice it has become unchecked.
                          • "Input Dimension Value
                            John Sweeney
                            Hi Bill,
                            I did some simple testing of SW2008 SP4 and SP5 and they both seem keep the proper "Input Dimension Value" setting.

When you say it happens several times during your session, then I would guess that if you were to simply open the Tools-Options dialog, change the value and then reopen the dialog, then the value would be correctly restored? Is that true?

I looked thru all of our SolidWorks code and don't see any place that it is being incorrectly set. In core SolidWorks, we only set the value from the Tools-Options dialog. However, I do see that we change the value in two of our "conversion" utilities; the "ProE" translator and the MDT/Inventor translator. Its possible that something is going wrong in one of those utilities, although they don't appear to have changed the code recently. Are you importing or exporting ProE or Inventor files? The registry value appears to get turned off at the begining of conversion and then restored to its initial value at the end of conversion. Perhaps your conversion is failing in some manner and we are incorrectly exiting the code before restoring the value.

If you're not using these conversion utils, are you using any Addins that may be programmatically changing this setting? If so, could you try working without any addins loaded to see if the value is still getting changed?

Thanks,
                            John
                              • "Input Dimension Value
                                Bill Rose
                                Bingo John!

I had this issue for several days which happened to be right after installing SP5 and then doing some Pro-E conversions. I finished doing the conversions and it hasn't happened since then. I could not figure out why it was doing that multiple times a session and then suddenly it stopped.

And yes, I reset the option and if I go back into the options dialog, it shows it's still properly set. The option's setting is also confirmed by the behavior of the software -- until it changes again...

I can now test at this end and try to confirm the connection to the Pro-E translator.

Thanks..........Bill
                                • "Input Dimension Value
                                  Bill Rose
                                  John,

A quick confirmation of the cause;

I exported an assembly to a Pro-E format -- no change to the option setting.

I closed the original SWx assembly (no change at this point either) and imported the previously exported Pro-E file and after it finished I opened the option dialog and saw that the option had changed (or not changed back after conversion??). The process was clean both directions.......Bill
                                • "Input Dimension Value
                                  Bill Rose

Wayne Matus wrote:

Here is a macro you can assign to a hot key that will check it when you notice it has become unchecked.

Thanks Wayne,

That works very well. I'll use it until this gets fixed....Bill
                          • Re: "Input Dimension Value" unchecks itself
                            Aleksandr Hohlatsov

Dan Riffellwas very close 

Instant 2D - turn it OFF!!!