9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2008 12:22 AM by Jeff Cope

Quality Control Inspections

Jason Corl
      I'm looking for a way to use the native SW files for QC inspection. Essentially when parts are received they are measured and compared to a paper drawing. These numbers are then written on a print out of an excel sheet.

I would like to find a digital process (near paperless), something that is linked with the drawings so there is no hunting and searching on the drawing for the dimension that is out of tolerance etc. And possible something that is directly linked to the dimension and even calculates based on dimension values.

How do you all handle this? Do your methods stay with the file? Attached in PDM? Do you have separate QC drawings/sheets with only critical dims?

Looking forward to hearing some opinions.
        • Quality Control Inspections
          Charles Culp
          Here is an article written recently by solidsmack.com

http://www.solidsmack.com/insp...solidworks/2008-10-06/

It is brand new. I know our company is looking into it, but I do not have any results for you.
            Jason Corl
            Wow, that looks awesome! Thanks Charles, I will send that down the line for sure.

Still would like to know what other process people are using currently.
                Matthew Lorono
                We used forms on excel sheets, but are now moving away from recording too much of our own. Instead, we are requiring the vendor to provide their inspection data which is verified for First Article only or when an issue arises.
                    Rodney Hall
                    Jeff Cope is the author of Inspection Xpert. I know him and can say without a doubt his QC solution is top notch. Jeff has presented this at our user group meeting and others here in NC. I don't know how many other solutions you will find like this. The reason Jeff wrote Inspection Xpert is because there were no programs like this available and he decided to create a solution.
                  Jason Corl
                  Hey Guys, thanks for your replies.

Jeff, InspectionXpert looks awesome! Great work...it seems like something that should come with SolidWorks!

In some of my other research that I'm still doing on this topic, I found a macro called DimName on Matt Lorono's site which lead me to the eng-tips page where the macro originated. This macro adds numbers to dimensions on drawings in sequential order with specified prefixes and can also export all of the dimension values with tolerances etc. to excel. This is a similar process to what I have used before only it was all manual. This macro has some issues in that it sounds like once you add the numbers it would be difficult to go back and modify/add dimensions because you would loose the sequential numbering.

The way we did it was on a separate layer...so we could change the color and turn them on/off, we put notes with circular borders next to every dimension and numbered them manually. Then the excel QC forms had row numbers and the QC inspectors would go through the print with the QC form and manually fill in all the dim types, values and tolerances. It then had a column for actual value and would automatically calculate pass/fail status for that dim. As you might imagine adding all those numbers was cumbersome and moving dimensions around was a major pain especially after the drawing had been released to QC and they did all their work. I guess it would be interesting to see if a macro could be created to do all of this? Can notes be attached to dims...like GD&T is? Seems like dimension numbers should be used once and not reused, or must be overridden manually so that once a qc form is created it can be used and amended for subsequent checks. Maybe even a cntrl-select method if there are certain dims you want checked...important vs. unimportant. We would also mark the drawing notes and other properties, material heat treat etc. that is not exactly a dimension but something that still needed to be qc'd.

Here's the link for the macro: http://www.eng-tips.com/viewth...cfm?qid=193453&page=1

Thought you might be interested in hearing what i had experience with and why I was asking. Maybe its totally bass ackwards but thats what we did and that is what I learned, now I'd like a more efficient process that achieves the same/similar end result. Make sense?

Matt also made a comment about reducing the amount of in-house inspection...this is I think ideal and where my company needs to go but quite honestly our vendors are too dumb to understand how to qc parts and we need a consistent and efficient way of communicating the issues that need to be corrected. Not to mention....I can't read chinese so I don't know what the QC reports are saying...if/when they come with a part.

I know I know...many issues, but gotta start somewhere.
                      Jeff Cope
                      Jason,

I am very familiar with the Macro. When I saw it initially about a year ago I thought it might hurt sales. I'm sure you can understand that if you spent a few years perfecting something and then someone else gives something kind of similar away for free that you would be concerned. That didn't happen though. There are a few reasons for that: 1) InspectionXpert does far more than what could be done realistically with a Macro, 2) InspectionXpert is maintained by us and kept up to date continously whereas a Macro is usually a snapshot of something that worked at one time for a given release (or a few) of SolidWorks and 3) InspectionXpert typically pays for itself in 3 to 6 weeks. Just about anyone that does quality inspections from SolidWorks drawings can justify the purchase to their boss without much trouble.

Some of the things that you mentioned in your post are actually handled quite nicely by InspectionXpert. InspectionXpert grabs dimensions, notes geometric tolerances, hole callouts, etc... You can deselect any items that you don't wish to include in the report and InspectionXpert maintains the numbering sequence (i.e. no numbers are 'lost'). All of the balloons are placed on a separate layer and InspectionXpert is able to change the balloons later if you need to recreate the inspection report.

The list of features was too long to capture in such a short youtube video but you can see a little bit better quality video and more in depth on functionality on the InspectionXpert website: http://www.inspectionxpert.com We also have a free webinar coming up on November 12th. It is a technical-focused, low-pressure live demonstration where you can 'kick the tires.' You can register for that here: http://www.inspectionxpert.com.../tabid/62/Default.aspx

Thank you very much for the encouragement and the kind words. It is my baby and everyone wants to hear that their kids aren't ugly : )

BTW - You have one of the coolest job titles I have ever heard. Since I own my company now, I am thinking about changing my title to be the same : ) Do you think it will confuse people since we are a software company? LOL
                      Thanks again,
                      Jeff