AnsweredAssumed Answered

VMware Fusion 2.0? Is it better for SW in a VM?

Question asked by Steve Krause on Oct 20, 2008
Latest reply on Jan 8, 2009 by Markku Lehtola
I have a Macbook Pro (NOT the latest milled alluminum released last week). I recently bought VMware's Fusion 2.0 and I've made a XP Pro virtual machine. I am thinking of loading SW on it.

We have a floating seat license here at work that I could load but that means I have to be online while using it. I mostly an Inventor user so I just signed up for a SW class at a community college and got a 2008/9 student disk with the text book. I want to load it and try it out on my personal Macbook Pro but if it doesn't work well and I change my mind and want to load it on my desktop machine instead, will that be difficult to do after having registered the student version on the MBP?

1) Does the newer version of Fusion (2.0) work better for supporting OpenGL in a virtual XP? on a Mac?

2) I heard that SW works fine running on an XP partition Bootcamp partition. If I installed it in Bootcamp and then ran Fusion using a VM of the Bootcamp partition would that be better than a standalone vm outside of VM? (I suspect no - it would still have the driver problems, if there are any, I guess).

3) After I register the student version (good for 150 days) will I be able to move the registration to another computer if the VM approach isn't working?

4) Does Vista make a difference. Does SW use DX10 in Vista? I think the latest Inventor does.

Outcomes