7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2008 5:28 PM by Adam Sandler

Can't mesh with solid elements

Adam Sandler
      Hi,

Has anyone else had any problems meshing solids in Simulation 2009 SP0?

I am using Vista x64 on a brand new machine. My computer is a Core 2 Quad Q9550 with 8GB DDR2 RAM. This is a brand new installation of SolidWorks 2009 SP0, but I also had this problem with 2009 PR1.

I can mesh with shell and beam elements, but when I try to mesh with solids, I get a message that meshing failed. This happens regardless of the complexity of the part. I have tried parts with studies set up in 2008 version, which work fine in 2008 and they fail in 2009. I have tried just creating a very simple prismatic body and it fails. I have tried Open GL model to rule out the GC. I have tried renaming the registry folder. My VAR has been on this for several weeks with no success.

Thanks,
      Adam
        • Can't mesh with solid elements
          Ian Hogg
          Hi Adam,

I have a very similar setup to you (a Dell Precision T7400, dual quad core, Vista 64, 16Gb Memory, Sata raid drives), and have not encountered this problem on 64 bit. I've been using it since beta at different times to test various models. I have gone through multiple installs, uninstalls, and while I have encountered other installation type issues, I never hit a meshing issue. I even had SW2008 on at different times

By new installation, do you mean that you never had 2008 on this OS? That could be a key pointer to maybe a system file missing from the install.

If the VAR is unable to resolve it, I would ask for this to be escalated to SolidWorks technical support to get their assistance in diagnosing the cause. Since this has been an issue for some time, get this done ASAP.

Cheers,

Ian

Derek Bishop
            I've had all sorts of problems trying to use simulation in 2009. I'm also running a 64 bit machine. It got to the point where any model that had simulation results would crash when I openned it. I sent it off our VAR's and they were able to open the model.

I'm also running SW 2008 on the machine and am not having these problems.

I've been through most things short of completely removing and then reinstalling the software. That is the next step.

I will keep you posted on developments and would be intersted to hear of similar problems withe the 64 bit machines.

My specificaitons are:

HP XW4600
            Intel E6850 core 2 duo chip
            Nvidia Quadro FX1700 graphics card,
            8 GB ram
                Ian Hogg
                Hi Derek,

I had different problems on my 64bit machine when trying a fatigue simulation or switching studies (with application locking up). I did not have problems under 32bit XP.

I have not had any issues with opening models and having them crash.

I downloaded the EV of SP1 and it fixed my particular issues.

Cheers,

Ian
                Alex Worsfold
                I too have the same problem, mesh fails regardless of part complexity... This was a new machine, new install. The first time i tried to use simulation it worked, created a mesh, even used the h-adaptive mesher and it worked fine. I then modified geometry and suddenly it doesnt work any more. Tried uninstalling reinstalling, deleting registry keys but nothing works.

I remember previous versions having different mesher options, but i cant find the option any more. Is anyone at solidworks watching? This was brought up a while ago, and is still broke in SP1.0.

Dell Precision 490
                WinXP 64bit (SP2)
                SW SP1.0
                    If your having trouble with mesh failing even on simple parts here is the solution provided by my VAR that worked for me.

This issue has been identified and assigned to SPR 462560.

This refers to an issue where surfaces will mesh but even a simple solid block will fail regardless of how fine the mesh is. The problem may be related to the length of the path to the results folder.

Workaround: Try changing the Simulation result folder location to something short under the root local hard drive folder, such as C:\Results. Be sure you change the results folder location in the existing study's properties, not just in the default mesh options.
                    Bill McEachern
                    Hi Adam,

I can mesh and remesh blocks with holes in them no problem on my 64 bit OS. I have noticed that i get the "swtich to or retry" error box popping up a lot on the 64 bit OS installation - other than being annoying it hasn't really caused much problems other than lost prodcutivity.

Not sure you want to do any shell meshing in 2009. I gave it up pretty quick as it appeared that you could not pick a face to say add a doubler thickness to it. You could just pick the solid body.....I didn't stick around long enough in 2009 to bother figuring out how or whether it could be done. Did you spend any time on shell meshing? Any thoughts on it? Saw some post a while back noting some issues but didn't have time to folow the thread. Haven't tried the beams out much either...any thoughts onthe beams?

Bill
                        Adam Sandler
                        Hi Bill,

I did get my solid meshing issue resolved. Not sure if Solidworks or Vista was to blame, but all I had to do was change the path to the results folder. For some reason, even as the computer administrator, I didn't have full write permission to the default results folder and I couldn't change the permissions.

No, I haven't had time to dig into shell or beams in 2009 yet, but soon....you'll probably be hearing from me when I do.

Adam