8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2008 9:31 PM by craig sinclair

Surfacing Challenge

Hi Guys,

I know nothing about good surface modeling and mainly model using solids. I decided to try model a custom guitar body and have found it to be quite a challenge.

Have a look at the attached file and if you are up to the challenge post back your method of creating the body.

I would also like to add a wood texture to the body but notice that the grain direction follows each face, not sure how to get around this.

If there is an easy way to avoid using surfacing lets see it... If you want to same your valuable wisdom.
        • Surfacing Challenge
          Mark Kaiser
          Quick and dirty...
          • Surfacing Challenge
            Charles Culp
            Matt Lombard posted his guitar design here: http://forum.solidworks.com/fo...catid=4&threadid=7096

3dcontentcentral.com also has guitars.
              • Surfacing Challenge
                craig sinclair
                Wayne,
                Mark is sending you in the right direction, surface fill is the way to go. You could control the surface a lot better by adding some constraint curves. The guitar body is the easy bit the neck is much harder.
                  • Surfacing Challenge
                    Thanks Mark,

Nice tool that surface fill is. You made it look so easy. Helps when you know what tools to use.

craig sinclair wrote:

The guitar body is the easy bit the neck is much harder.

Craig,
                    I thought that the body would have been the most difficult part to model (I haven't tried modeling the neck yet) Why is the neck "much harder". I was thinking two profiles with a loft feature to create the main portion of the neck. Is this idea over simplified in reality?

Guess I will soon find out.

Thanks Guys...
                      • Surfacing Challenge
                        Mark Kaiser
                        Wayne,

With knowing nothing about the construction of guitars, I really don't know if deform with surface push is the right way to go, just was trying to show another option of how to build it.
                          • Surfacing Challenge
                            craig sinclair
                            Wayne,
                            Your idea isn't over simplified, it just depends on how far you want to go with the model. If you are just modeling a guitar to practice surfacing than fine but if you want to machine it than it's a different story. Most guitar CAD models i have seen dont have a heel they just have a round neck attached straight to the body, this is incorrect, a guitar needs a heel so it can be glued onto the body. If the neck is going to end up on a guitar than you have to get your blends nice at the heel (body end) and headstock, this is the hard bit.
                            Yes, you should use lofts to make the main portion of the neck. I am modeling an acoustic neck at the moment, nearly finished, just having a little problem with the heel blend. When i have finished it I will post a screen shot and give you some better advice.
                              • Surfacing Challenge
                                Thanks Craig,

I am modeling the guitar as surfacing practice, but woul eventually like to actually make it as well. Who knows when that will happen though.

Do you model guitars and have them made? Is this your line of business or just a hobby?

Thanks for your input...
                                  • Surfacing Challenge
                                    craig sinclair
                                    Wayne,
                                    I'm a luthier (guitar builder) by trade and have been for 13+ years. I have only been doing CAD/CAM for the last few years. My primary role is CAM/CNC operator so this tends to slow down the whole design process. I will keep you posted about the neck model, it may take a while I haven't touched it for over a week (been busy doing custom work) If you have any guitar related questions dont hesitate to post them or give me your email and i can reply to them there

Cheers Craig