6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2017 9:25 AM by Shane Bowes

Mating changes in 2017?

Michael Bernero

In 2017 they seem to have changed how mating works in an assembly and it's messing up my models. Before the parts used to slide along one axis but now they move around in the other axes and moving parts around that don't need to. Anyone know if there is a setting to change it back to how it worked in 2016 and older? Here's a quote I found in the whats new section:

"Better Component Placement While Mating

When adding concentric or coincident mates to components that have all degrees of freedom unconstrained, components are placed in more logical positions on the screen and relative to other components. In previous releases, the coincident or concentric mate was added correctly, but one component was often placed off screen or hidden behind or within other components. Then, to continue your work, you needed to zoom in and out, rotate the view, or hide other components. In SOLIDWORKS 2017, to improve the placement of the components being mated, the mate software takes into account where you click on each of the components to mate. The components are placed so that those clicked regions are near each other. The software also avoids or minimizes interference with other components."

• Re: Mating changes in 2017?
          Russell Carlson

I have had issues with mates since installing 2017. I constantly have assemblies over defined even though I know that the assembly is not over defined. I also have had issues with parts not moving into position of a mate when I know that the part should, and has in previous versions.

Michael Bernero

Seems like you're having the same problem.  It's especially apparent when working with assemblies made in versions 2016 and older.  Parts like to move based on where you click and if all other parts aren't fully defined then the move as well.  Before they used to just slide up to the surface selected linearly.

Russell Carlson

Yes, that is part of it, but the issue that is really causing me problems is when I attempt to make the mate that will fully define the part. The part used to move into place, now it gives me a warning that the mate will over define or that it cannot complete the mate because either the distance is off or angle is off. I can at times drag the part into place and the mate will complete, but that is only 1 out of 10 times.

James Lupinek

This string has taken a fork in the road and now (2) issues are being discussed.

That being said I am here to discuss the original question. I have an entire team of design engineers that are used to a part moving in a single axis during the mate process. With it now moving in (2) axis, it is causing additional work for our team.

Do we have any hope of seeing a checkbox added in the future to change mate behavior?

Thanks,

James

Eric Mear

James Lupinek

I would like to see solutions to both issues. I have designers that would like the old mating style of moving in 1 axis. (Although I like the new mating style) We are also seeing issues with assemblies breaking mates, suppressing mates or becoming over defined with no changes to the assembly or parts. Any other threads addressing these issues?

Thanks,

Eric

Shane Bowes

I just noticed these problems myself within the past week. I was so fed up with trying to fix mates and new problem mates cropping up from fixing errant mates, that I deleted all the mates in my assembly! Even after that my mates pull down in the file tree still had this error. Even though there are literally zero mates in this model at this point. What the heck is going on with SW2017? They need to get this corrected ASAP before my employer makes some stupid rule about not using mates to assemble models, because SW2017 has so many problems.