11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2016 8:48 PM by Edward Eaton

impossible 3d lines

Tufan Ozbek

hello everybody. my name is tufan

i need to draw that 3d lines but i cant find any way to do that.

i can make the model. but i cant convert to this vector lines

anyone can give me any tip about that

warm regards.

• Re: impossible 3d lines
          Dennis Bacon

Tufan,, You may want to give "Face Curves" a try. You can adjust the mesh to however you want it and can change the thickness and color too.

Mike Price

Hey Dennis.  Face curves are great!  Probably one of the most unused, but useful tools in SW.

Edward Eaton

If you use tools> face curves to create curves, it will create a whole bunch of individual 3D Sketches - one sketch for each curve. (not fun)

"Face Curves" fun tip:

I got a part years ago from the great Tomas Parel that taught me that if you start an active 3D sketch prior to using "tools>face curves", all of the face curves get grouped into that single 3D sketch (fun!)

-Ed

Dennis Bacon

Good tip Edward and one I will remember.. Now how do we hide the sketches that are behind the solid and only view what should be seen from whatever position we are viewing from. I'm struggling trying to figure that out. I can do a sweep for each segment but of course that is way too much work. Hope someone has an idea.

Tufan Ozbek

Hi, still I couldn't find a solution to hide the curve lines. I'll be glad if you answer.

Thanks in advance Edward Eaton

Edward Eaton

Tufan,

You really need to be explicit about what real-world result you are looking for.

If you are trying to do this: This optical illusion lamp incredibly challenges your mind. I want one for my house, NOW!  , all you have to do is attempt to convert the 3D face curves into a 2D sketch and trim each converted curve back to what you want to be left with. 

Note: Use Split Line > Silhouette to create the edges along the serpentine shapes to convert those into the final 2D sketch.  It would take maybe an hour or less of manual work to match the supplied image.

If you want to create a 3D shape that you can rotate and only show one side on the screen for some reason, you can use the 3D curves created by Face curves to create split lines in your serpentine model.  It will be a LOT of tedious work and will require a LOT of rework if you don't plan ahead and need to make changes, but its easy: just sweep a surfaces along each of the 3D curves, then use Split Line>Intersection to subdivide the main face of the serpentine.  This will take under 30 seconds for each curve.  Note: I was unable to use a 3D face curve to create a split lines  Maybe someone else knows a way to crack this that is easier than sweeping an intersecting profile along each 3D face curve.

If you are trying for something else, you HAVE TO BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC.  You can't leave this group guessing at what you are trying to accomplish and expect anyone to come up with the right answer for your project.

Best of Luck!

Ed.

Tufan Ozbek

Thank you Dennis and Edward for your bright ideas. That really helped me but I have tried the last idea but the backward lines are still visible. I have started a 3D Sketch and then applied "tools>face curves", afterwards I have closed the 3D Sketch, so all the lines have been grouped within the 3D Sketch.

The problem is I could not find out how to hide the lines which are behind the object.

Can you suggest a method to hide the backward lines?