3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2008 8:04 AM by Jason Corl

Overlapping Drawing views

I have a drawing of an assembly, and in one view I have overlapped the drawing with another view, which shows an alternate position of a moveable component. I did this by making a second assembly with the part in the alternate position. I have made this alternate show in dashed lines, the main view is shaded with edges. On the computer screen it looks perfect, with the alternate view hidden by the shaded view, in places where it would not show due to being "behind" the main view. However when I print it out, the entire alternate view shows in dashed lines, in front of the shaded view. The only way I can describe what I want to do is from drawing/painting programs where you have a "bring to front" or "send to back" selection. I cannot seem to hide the dashed lines where the shaded view is. Any thoughts?
        • Overlapping Drawing views
          Troy Peterson
          Why don't you use the built in alternate position drawing tool? Search help for "Alternate Position View"
            Joel Bickel
            Harry,

Look in the help file for "alternate position view". You don't need to make a second assembly; just a second configuration. For an assembly (a door for example) that has moving parts, it has worked well for me in the past to make 3 configurations: open, closed, and flexible.

Alternate position view puts a dashed view of another config on top of the original.

Troy has beat me to it.
              Jason Corl
              I have not used the "alternate position view feature" but going off of the features that I have used you can hide components in the lined view by right clicking on the view and using the options in there. I'm not at my computer now so I can't give exact steps but I know it is there. Its called something like "Components to remove from view"...

Hope one of these solutions works for you.