AnsweredAssumed Answered

Auto Adding Gaskets and Bolts at Pipe Connection

Question asked by Chris Weaver on Dec 9, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 15, 2016 by Chris Weaver

I'm prepared for a little bit of dialogue on this question, so let me start by saying I'm running SW2016 SP4.0 Premium and my company often does piping and tanks in addition to structural steel and site work. In regards to my methodology on this question, let me start with the current way I've been doing things and then pose a question.

If I have a long run of pipe that I need to break up into flanged sections for shop fabrication and material ordering purposes, or really anywhere I want to break the run into spools, in the route sketch I do a "Split Route" twice and change the middle section of the now 3 route lines to a construction line and drag-and-drop a flange at the endpoints of the construction line (or end points of the newly broken route, however you want to look at it). I then manually add the gasket and bolts to the parent assembly, not the route assembly.

So my question is...is there any way to simplify this process? Smart Components seemed to be a promising venue but I ran into troubles as soon as I started trying to do multiple configurations.

Thank you for any insight.

Outcomes