4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2008 8:14 PM by Jennifer Bahnsen

PDMWE in Layman's Terms

Jennifer Bahnsen
      Does anyone have a document that explains how PDMWE is set up that a non-technical person can understand? I'm looking for something with pictures and simple terminology for non-IT persons.

I'm finding that even some of our IT people don't understand the concept of the local cache, the file servers, and the database.

If no one has anything I'll develop something and post it.

Thanks,
        • PDMWE in Layman's Terms
          Jennifer Bahnsen
          Since I haven't gotten any responses should I assume that no one really understands it?

I did get something written up but it's specific to our company but if someone would like it, let me know.
            Todd Jurek
            I would like to see it if you get a chance...

jurek.todd AT mtiwelding.com

AT = @
              Christina Seay
              I know exactly what you mean Jennifer. We've run into that same situation at my company as well. We're looking at setting up an in-house website in Engineering and using it to offer training videos, how-to's and guides and things to our employees to help out with explanations and make this transition to a PDM system as smooth as possible.

You might be able to flip through the PDM guides and find some things you can copy/paste and use for creating training. You should have them in a support folder on the install cd (my IT dept had to send them to me since I'm the admin user, but I didn't have access to them) If you don't have them, let me know and I'll email them to you. There are lots of screenshots in there.
                  Jennifer Bahnsen
                  Our guys tend to hide the software too (which is fine with me) but then I have to ask for the documentation. Thanks for offering but I have everything. Unfortunately the documentation from SW leaves a little something to be desired when it comes to explaining the setup. But everyone's setup is different so it's probably not easy to write up something generic.