AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to obtain system time, date and user for note in SW drawing

Question asked by Shane Plohl on Dec 5, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 5, 2016 by Shane Plohl

Hi,

Firstly, these forums have been a great help, and I thank everyone that contributes to them.

I am currently trying to update a macro which saves a pdf of the drawing, to include a small bit of text which time and date stamps the pdf. Although I don't expect we'll use this bit of data much, I know from previous experience that it can be useful should we have any errors in our drawing management process.

Is there a way to read and use the systems data and time in a solidworks macro?

The way I see the macro working:

User presses macro button,

does some checks for open file etc

save drawing file (if possible)

adds stamp which will contain the time (hhmmss), date (YYMMDD), and the user (Name) - Example 101643161206SHANEP (I wanted the part/assembly PDM version, and drawing version here as well, but we need PDM pro for that…)

Saves PDF in location specified by the ECN

Deletes stamp

Macro ends

I am having a lot of difficulty finding how to obtain the system time in a solidworks macro. Previous threads on this forum have suggested using SW-Last Saved Date, and SW-Last saved by… This will work, just not if drawing is in an Approved state in PDM – as it will just capture the last time it was saved.

Although the management process I am working on should stop this happening… I have no doubt it’ll happen, and I want to capture that information when it does happen.

Another way I had thought of getting the information was to have the macro open an excel sheet, excel gets the time and date stamp using a macro, copies the data out, then somehow feeds it back into the macro… but I can’t get that to work either.

As asked above, is there any way to read and use the system date and time in a solidworks macro? Like want can be done in  excel? Such as

NowText = Format(Now(), "hhmmssyymmdd")

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Shane

Outcomes