14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2017 12:57 AM by Anna Wood

Sheet Scale functionality

Lee Brown

I have never seen this as a tip or trick so not many may have know about it. In SW 2014 I could start a new drawing/model view  If the scale was to small or large I could switch to use custom scale select the size I like click back on the use sheet scale and this would update the sheet scale to the new scale saving having to change it in properties. Is there a way to get this functionality  back?     I am currently on SW 2016 we skipped 2015 so I am not sure if it went away in 2015 or 2016.

• Re: Sheet Scale functionality
          Scott Stuart

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but in SW2016 there is a new method for changing the sheet scale. In the lower left of the status bar there's a menu for changing it. I bet this is an even faster method than the trick you described.

Capture.PNG

Dan Pihlaja

I am guessing that this was a bug that you used to your advantage that was fixed in 2015.   I am using 2015, and I cannot repeat that finctionality.

Although, in my opinion if that really was the functionality, then I am glad that it was fixed because I wouldn't want to add a new view to a drawing, select custom scale, then change my mind and switch back to sheet scale only to have it update the entire drawing to the new scale.

Although, I could see there being rules to the selection, like if this is the first view, then work like you stated above.

Lee Brown

It was not a bug you could preview the size on the sheet and change it again until you select use sheet scale (after changing from initial)  and placed the view on the sheet it didn't change the sheet scale. the lower right corner stops the command in progress and doesn't allow you to preview the scale selection nor does it always have the size needed. Like I said I don't think many people knew it was there. Right now you can still change it and preview it with this method and place it at the new scale but then you will have to change the sheet scale to match as a separate step.

Deepak Gupta

Not in front of SOLIDWORKS but do you have this option selected

"Automatically scale new drawing views" in the Drawings Options

Lee Brown

This inserts the model view as 1:1 and does not update the scale of the sheet.

John Stoltzfus

I use multiple sheet drawings and I drag all my parts into the drawing file from windows explorer and then I have multiple copies of a great little macro written by Leon Wurr  - All I do is select the front view click on the scale I need and we done...

I never even mess with the sheet scale, I just scale my views, macros and bits attached..

Deepak Gupta

I've checked from 2013 to 2016 and not able to replicate what you've posted in original post.

The purpose of "Automatically scale new drawing views" option is to scale to fit the Standard 3 Views on the drawing sheet, regardless of the paper size selected. So basically similar to what you need.

This option:

- When selected, the SOLIDWORKS software automatically scales the views to best fit on the drawing sheet, and the scale of the drawing sheet becomes the same as the scale of the views.

-When cleared, the views are inserted at the scale of the drawing sheet.

Lee Brown

We rarely use 3 views we are not allowed to use 1:3 1:5 1:15 so the best fit isn't always compatible with our standard. So I use Model view select part or assembly next preview is checked say the drawing is to small at 1:8 so go down to scale select use custom scale change it to 1:4 check your preview yes this fits better at this point check use sheet scale in 2014 it would change the sheet scale to 1:4 the next view will be sheet scale which is 1:4.     2015 reverts back to 1:8 and forces me to change the sheet scale to my desired scale.  I am not sure if we have any machines left with 2014 on them I will see if I can find one and re-create this.

John Stoltzfus

You got me curious, what is the reason of not using 1:3 1:5 1:15 - ??

Lee Brown

John We have a drafting standard that says this

Scale Space

The scale space shall contain 1:1 or FULL, 1/2, 1/4 or any other fraction to denote to what scale the drawing is made. Preferred scale sizes are: 1:1 or FULL, 2:1, 3:1, and 4:1. Fractional scales are to be used for large equipment not to fit part on drawings 3/4, 1/2, 3/8, 1/4, 1/5, 1/8, 1/10, and 1/16 size. Use a larger drawing or multiple sheet to show parts at full scale.

So since it doesn't say we can use these other sizes the drafting supervisor who is no longer here insisted we not use them even though I believe the standard says Any other fraction to denote what scale the drawing is made.

Something else that drives me nuts they used to run the dimension center lines of holes from the far right so the bend lines to tell the difference they changed to phantom this was before SW would allow you to control it so every part they were manually changing. They did start dimensioning to the far left feature and placing qty of that feature ie 4X  but the phantom line for bend lines remained.

Anna Wood

A hold over from when everyone used to actually lay a scale (ruler) on a paper drawing and read the dimensions off the scale (ruler).  That is not a requirement for most folks these days.

I use whatever scale works and many times do not even note what the view/section scale is on the drawing.  I know the guys in our shop do not lay a scale to a paper drawing to measure.  They do not get a 1:1 drawing plot in the job traveler, just 8.5 x 11 prints.

FWIW....

Glenn Schroeder

I have "Automatically scale new drawing views" selected, but it pretty much always brings them in smaller than I want.  However, with practice I've gotten better at knowing how much to adjust it.  It usually only takes one or two tries to get it right.

Like Deepak said, I don't ever remember seeing the behavior you described, although I'm not saying it didn't happen.  I have noticed that the sheet scale note doesn't always update immediately with "Automatically scale new drawing views" selected.  Is there any chance that's what made you think it was adjusting to match the drawing view?

Lee Brown

Glen that was the beauty of the whole thing I could get a preview of the new size and when I liked the size the whole sheet would adjust  to the new size.  Automatic scaling was left on so it would be somewhat close to what I needed. Most of our drawings are sheet metal so we need a flat pattern and we only need a front view and usually 1 side for height or thickness of material. We usually get 2-6 parts per sheet depending on size and complexity. Even on the 1st sheets the weldment or assembly we rarely use 3 views with an isometric.