4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2016 7:20 PM by Parag Soni

How can i update Elbow part of route properties template? When update the Elbow RLM ask to select pipe for new route where as I only want to change Elbow.

Parag Soni

How can I update Elbow part of route properties template? When update the Elbow RLM ask to select pipe for new route where as I only want to change Elbow.

• Re: How can i update Elbow part of route properties template? When update the Elbow RLM ask to select pipe for new route where as I only want to change Elbow.
          Peter De Vlieger

Parag,

You'll have to state your issue in more detail because for the moment it's not clear what you are trying to do let alone how you are trying to do it.

In general it helps if you provide a clear detailed situation of what your problem is, what you expected to happen and what it doesn't seem to be doing or seems to be doing wrong.

Seeing as this seems to be your first post I think chances are that you have no prior experience with Routing and possible even with Solidworks you are most likely in the situation that you don't know what you don't know and don't even know how to formulate your questions with the correct terminology .

Have you followed any trainings in Routing specifically, be it by means of a colleague, the VAR (software seller) or even on your own by means of books/youtube/training files?  If not, then please do. One can't be expect to just know stuff.

Do you have an actual piping background? It helps if you know piping before using Routing. Just as it's helpful if you have a mechanical background for using sheetmetal or weldments.

by the way, may I recommend you read the following : Forum Posting

Looking forward to seeing you clarify you're question

Have a nice one

Peter

• Re: How can i update Elbow part of route properties template? When update the Elbow RLM ask to select pipe for new route where as I only want to change Elbow.
              Parag Soni

Hello Peter,

Thanks for your response. You may be right that I did not frame the question properly with enough information and fact that I may not be as experience as you in SW Routing. But I have been using routing since a year now and let me tell you that I have learnt a lot reading your forums.

Let me try to explain what I am trying to achieve.

Background of Problem - We implemented SW a year back and were still using old program to work of live project. As the project is completed, we are now in phase of transition period and developing a system to be used with SW. We also implemented PDM vault for SW couple of months back and transferring all the data from old server to PDM Server.

Problem-1:

When we transferred the data, all the fittings were in design library folder (similar) to Toolbox settings and I set up few Route Properties through RLM as below. Few routings have been completed using these Route Properties.

Now, it was decided to follow some different folder structure with in Design Library folder for fittings (separate the fittings according to material and type of fittings) and files were renamed and moved in different folder structure. I synchronise the design library with piping and tubing database of RLM. But not all the fittings gets updated in database by synchronising. I needed to open the Pipe & Elbows part files and add through Routing Component Wizard. Is this usual or I am doing something wrong here?

Problem-2:

After completing all these, I have realised the Route Properties set previously does not work as location of Elbows have changed and route properties does not work anymore. I have no idea where these Route Properties are saved in the first place? When I tried to update the location of Elbows for predefined Route Properties, it gives me a message "Select pipe for new template" and when I browse to pipe and try to save it, it does not allow me to save that.

Problem-3:

I have spoken to my VAR multiple times and very little help from them. They suggest not to use RLM, create templates for route properties which I find very frustrating. AS I could not update the route properties, I don't know what will happen to the routes that were created with earlier version of route properties. As I understand the system, the updates (if I can do it) will apply to new routes and for existing routes, individual segments needs to be selected and updated. Can you please share your views on this?

I would appreciate you could give some more insight to these problems. Hope I am clear this time in expressing the issue.

Regards,

Parag

Peter De Vlieger

Parag,

Haven't been around for close to a week so forgive me for not answering earlier.

I'm not familiar with PDM at all let alone how it behaves or misbehaves in conjunction with Routing.

RLM has never ever worked for me. No matter how many times I connected my VAR, asked for help on the forums or have my VAR contact SW to notify of the problem we have with it.

I would lie. I know of one way to make the RLM work. It is using the routing library provided by SW itself without changing anything anywhere. As soon as I tried to use a slighty modified, let alone fully modified, routing part in it then it goes to hell. And no one seems to be able to tell me why.

The few things I found out is by trying stuff out and deducing things myself. Such as that the database which the RLM uses seems to get corrupted as soon as you alter anything to anything. Moving the routinglib.db or having it in a different location then C: is no problem.

The RLM helps, as far as I understood the idea behind it, to set up initial routing. As in that when making a new route you can select a certain standard (let's say using steel in a particular schedule)  and there for you don't have to select which elbows to use in a route, because that is set in your RLM as well. This should means that existing routes don't reference the RLM but the RLM is used in setting up a new route.

Now if the RLM doesn't work it should just come down to the fact that one has to spend a bit more care in setting up a new route, as in having to define each and every time what elbow to use with what pipe.

The main thing is that if your pipes and fittings are set up correctly and using the pipe identifier as well as the specification at Cpoint then things will still work out nicely. It took us a bit to figure that out and getting everything set up accordingly.

Even without those being present, they should not mess up existing routes but it will means just a tad more work on new routes or routes that you want to alter.

Have a nice one

Peter