5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2016 11:24 AM by Chris Dordoni

Soldiworks drawing to dxf.

Aaron Davis

I have a Solidworks drawing that contains two images as sketch pictures.  When I save the drawing as a .dxf or .dwg format, the images become embedded in the resulting file and are not displayed.  Is there a setting that is missing?

• Re: Soldiworks drawing to dxf.
          Chris Dordoni

That has been my experience as well. I have not tried to trouble shoot it.

You could try PDF if another format would be acceptable, that does work for me.

Aaron Davis

I think I found the issue.  If I add a picture using the 'Insert: Picture' it adds a Sketch picture which does not translate to an identifiable package when I export to dxf or dwg.

However, if I add an object "Insert: Object" and select "Paintbrush Picture" it allows me to add a picture that is a recognizable OLE object in a dxf or dwg drawing.

It's obviously the Sketch picture container that is causing the problem.  Thanks Stavros and Chris for your comments.  I will stick to using the Insert : Object tool from here on in.  If I just blindly cut and paste a picture into a Solidworks drawing, it always comes in as a Sketch Picture.

Appreciate the help.

Chris Dordoni

Does the DXF/DWG then link to the bitmap, so that it must be included as an additional file along with the DXF/DWG?

Aaron Davis

I'm not sure if it needs to be included.  I'll try to open it up on a different computer.  I'm sure the picture becomes embedded in the document and wouldn't require the image to be sent along as a separate file.

When I use a sketch picture, the image in the dxf file just shows up as a placeholder:

Chris Dordoni

Yeah, that's exactly what I get. I am curious about the OLE method you mentioned, so I'd be interested in hearing how it works when you find out how the DXF/DWG reads in another app.

EDIT,  Sorry, I'm a bit brain dead this morning, of course you opened the file in another app besides SolidWorks.

Some applications in addition to Autocad let you place images and edit/examine blocks or X-refs in the file. (I'm not sure if Dassault's free Draftsight will allow that). You might also be able to correct or add the image that way.