6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2008 10:08 AM by Alan Stoldt

Dimension modification

D. chorosy
      Most of the time I want to modifiy a dimension's value in the active configuration only but when I double click on the value, the default setting change the value in all configurations.
      Actually I would like to know if we can change the default setting to "this configuration" as I tend to forget to specify it.
        • Dimension modification
          Roland Schwarz
          Once a dimension is set with config-specific values, the default will be "This Configuration".
            • Dimension modification
              Don Eva

Roland Schwarz wrote:

Once a dimension is set with config-specific values, the default will be "This Configuration".

That's the rub - it only does it after you've already made a global change, realized you forgot to make it config-specific, gone back & fixed the original, then re-specified the config-specific dimension.

After about the 3rd or 4th time you make the same mistake in one model, you eventually remember to check that box . . . . . Until the next project.

It would be nice to either default to config-specific (which could result in the same problem in reverse) or have a "novice" mode which asks the question or makes it more obvious that you need to consider whether you want it config-specific or global.

Don
                • Dimension modification
                  Charles Culp
                  Also,

I prefer to use the "configure feature"/"configure dimension" tool whenever I create a part with multiple configurations. Or even better, a design table.

Right click on any dimension and select "configure dimension", and it will bring up a table that shows all your configurations and all the dimension values for each config. This is a quick and easy way to make sure each configuration is set properly.
                    • Dimension modification
                      D. chorosy
                      Thanks all,

I've already experienced all the technic you explain above and that's why I think the best for me would be having the dimensions set to "this config only".
                      Actually when I make a change in a part for upgrade/modification of a machine I create a new config so all the revisions of the same part are in one folder but I don't want to alter the other config which are the previous versions of the part. I thought maybe it would have been possible to change the default setting of the dimensions so I would have been on the safe side.
                      • Dimension modification
                        Tony Cantrell
                        Charles, is this something new in SW08, because I'm not seeing it in SW07.
                  • Dimension modification
                    Alan Stoldt
                    Tony,

Yes, it is new for 2008.