52 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2019 11:35 AM by Dennis Dohogne

Top Ten Idea Submission and What the Voting Means

Dennis Dohogne

After seeing the good discussions here (to list only a few):  Will the Top Ten List be handled differently this year? , https://forum.solidworks.com/message/689652#comment-689652 , Simplify the Enhancement Request System and Tie it Into the Forums I wanted to summarize how I think the ideas are viewed before and after voting.

The submitted ideas are typically all over the map or chart in this case.  Some ideas are easy to implement, but only have a small benefit to the user while others would be a tremendous benefit, but would be very difficult to implement.  All are looked at by the good folks at SolidWorks, thank you.

So the ideas will fall into four general groups:

1. (Blue zone) Very easy to implement, but small benefit.  SolidWorks might put it on the to-do list, but on the back burner so it might not get done since its benefit is so small.

2. (Green zone) Very easy to implement with a big benefit.  These are probably already on the list at SolidWorks and in-work.

3. (Red zone) Very difficult to implement with a very small benefit.  Don't hold your breath for these as they are likely to just be filed and never worked on.

4. (Yellow zone) The big question zone.  There is both appreciable difficulty and benefit to these ideas so SolidWorks needs us to tell them just how important they are.

But a picture is worth 1k words:

So, what happens with the voting?  Looking only at the yellow zone we might get something along these lines:

Of course the developers at SolidWorks have to apply a subjective assessment of both Ease of Implementation and Benefit, but our votes will determine the size of these data points.  Perhaps that can be interpreted as a third axis, Importance to the Customer.

So what?  What does this all mean?  For me it means I'm not going to worry about voting for anything in the first three categories as their destiny is more or less predetermined.  The good folks at SolidWorks said that all ideas are considered by the development teams so all ideas are by default considered as an informal enhancement request.  Thank you, SolidWorks!!

I have always enjoyed looking at the submitted ideas.  A lot of times they are things that make me go "Yes!  I would like to have that too."  Other times I learn something about the software I didn't know so it is a good education for me.

I hope this gives you some food for thought.  Voting opens in a couple of weeks.

• Re: Top Ten Idea Submission and What the Voting Means
          Rick Becker

Dennis,

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I see you don't work for Dassault, but you sound like you do.

The benefit side of the equation is very subjective.

I have submitted an Idea that I believe (based on personal experience with other software) has the most benefit over all other ideas. I suspect not all users or viewers of this forum will agree.

The idea gets Immediately shot down because of the difficulty of implementation. I suspect that several people don't vote for the idea because of the belief that it will never get implemented, sort of throwing away a vote.

I disagree with this thinking. I believe that if it garnered the most votes, and ended up at the top of the list in a landslide, the idea may get the proper mandate to implement.

If I may paraphrase from President John F. Kennedy's speech, delivered in person before a joint session of Congress on May 25, 1961

"I believe we possess all the resources and talents necessary. But the facts of the matter are that we have never made the national decisions or marshaled the national resources required for such leadership. We have never specified long-range goals on an urgent time schedule, or managed our resources and our time so as to insure their fulfillment...

I therefore ask the Congress (Dassault), above and beyond the increases I have earlier requested for space activities (SolidWorks Improvement), to provide the funds (time and programmers) which are needed to meet the following national (user base) goals:

First, I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out (the next major release), of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth."  (Implimenting  Undo/Redo - Un-Limited/Un-Restricted )

Dennis Dohogne

Rick, I agree with you about pushing the envelope and asking for things that we might be told are not going to happen.  However, I'll bet you aren't going to vote for everything, and not everything in the far reaches either.  I too have been pushing SolidWorks for stuff that will be a huge effort for them.

I was merely looking at this from my experience with product development and got to thinking of how the good folks at SolidWorks will be looking at these ideas.  If everyone that votes were to plot each idea based on our own assessment of Ease of Implementation and Benefit we would all have something pretty different.  So when looking at an idea I am looking first from my own perspective, mostly how it would benefit me, and secondly how it would benefit others.  Frankly, I really don't care too much about ease (or difficulty) of implementation since I'm not the one that would have to do it.

SolidWorks developers are going to make some assessment similar to the chart above where the red zone won't be worked, the green zone will be implemented at some point, and the blue zone might be implemented depending on available resources.  But they really need our help sorting out the stuff in their yellow zone.

I'll vote for the substantive ideas.  I won't be voting for the trivial ones in my blue zone.  I'll vote for a bunch of the ideas in my green zone, but they seem so obvious and easy I really am not too worried about them garnering the votes for the Top Ten.  After all, SolidWorks is looking at all the ideas anyway so I'm good with that.  A lot of the ideas in my red zone I think are implausible due to their low benefit/effort ratio.  Those ideas are typically things I have, and can, live without anyway.  But I'll still be voting for some in my red zone.

I guess my voting zone of consideration would be a larger oval than the yellow one I drew.  Even then I'll be selective about what to vote for because I really want to call SolidWorks' attention to the ideas that would be a big benefit to us.  I think the ideas that would fall in the yellow zone are really the main thrust of the Top Ten list.

Remember, everyone would zone ideas differently.  Items in SolidWorks' yellow zone will be in other people's red, blue and green zones.  Our votes (or lack thereof) will effectively sort the ideas in their yellow zone into the other three.

Last year's runaway #1 idea was Create a “Classic” mode GUI option in SolidWorks 2016 that emulates SolidWorks 2015.  I would have put this in the green category and indeed it was because by the time the Top Ten list was released this had been partially implemented. I emphatically voted for this with my single vote, but participated loudly in the forum to complain about the muted colors, as did many others.  This had almost twice the number of votes of the #2, Ability to Export BOM Table with Thumbnail Images of Components.

Since we can only vote once for any given idea it is goofy to vote for everything.  I was just trying to add some perspective so we as a community can help SolidWorks better understand and prioritize what we want.

Rick Becker

I truly appreciate your extremely well thought out comments.

Like you I will be emphatically voting for my personal Top Ten with my single vote each.

There may be well over 1000 ideas submitted. I will read and consider each of them and, as a personal choice, I will limit my voting to my personal top 20. I think it would be a good idea to limit the total number of votes per person because, as you said, "...I really want to call SolidWorks' attention to the ideas that would be a big benefit to us."

I will just say that I personally believe that the idea of unlimited undo/redo is the one idea that has the potential to help me (and everyone) the most. I will fervently support getting this Idea and hope it gets the top spot with twice the votes of the second place idea.

Steve Calvert

Just don't demand a recount if your top ten doesn't pan out like you wanted...

Steve C

Dwight Livingston

Rick

I don't think anyone should limit the number of yes votes they use. Limitiing your votes may be a way to game the contest, but I doubt it matters. It assumes you know what a no-brainer is, and it assumes you know what is difficult. I don't think we do. If no one votes for a good idea because we all think it too small, in SW's eyes that will push it down to the blue area and it may not get done. If no one votes for a good idea because we think it too difficult, then SW may not include it with a bunch of other new and difficult ideas, which together end up making perfect sense, maybe a no-brainer.

I am going to vote for every idea that want to see implemented. If to me it seems easy to do, I'll only have to want it a little. If to me it seems difficult, I'll need to want it a lot. I will, though, vote for as many ideas as make sense to me. I don't plan to game my vote. I don't think any votes are wasted.

I really don't care what ends up in the top ten. Every year the top ten ideas disappoint me completely. SW has, though, made some big improvements.

Dwight

Rick Becker

Dwight Livingston wrote:

...I don't think anyone should limit the number of yes votes they use. Limitiing your votes may be a way to game the contest, but I doubt it matters. It assumes you know what a no-brainer is, and it assumes you know what is difficult. I don't think we do. If no one votes for a good idea because we all think it too small, in SW's eyes that will push it down to the blue area and it may not get done. If no one votes for a good idea because we think it too difficult, then SW may not include it with a bunch of other new and difficult ideas, which together end up making perfect sense, maybe a no-brainer.

I am going to vote for every idea that want to see implemented. If to me it seems easy to do, I'll only have to want it a little. If to me it seems difficult, I'll need to want it a lot. I will, though, vote for as many ideas as make sense to me. I don't plan to game my vote. I don't think any votes are wasted.

Dwight, a lot has transpired in the 2 years since I wrote my reply. You make some formidable arguments in favor of as many votes as one sees fit to cast.

I agree and change my stance on limiting votes under the existing rules.

as an aside, I would support limiting total votes per person if it was implemented for all. At this point in time my total number of votes allowed would be 50

Dwight Livingston wrote:

...I really don't care what ends up in the top ten. Every year the top ten ideas disappoint me completely.

Here I must disagree with you.

Starting with ONE and TWO.

I have learned just how many Dassault/SolidWorks eyes are watching the Top Ten. I have personally seen that what we do here does help to steer the ship and helps to set the course.

For good or for bad, the actual Top Ten of the SOLIDWORKS World 2019 Top Ten List , I believe, carries more weight.

I say this knowing there is a session at SWW specifically to openly discuss the Top Ten. And. The CEO, along with all strategic managers, are in attendance and joining in the discussion. Believe me when I say it, this is a very impressive session.    

Dwight Livingston wrote:

... SW has, though, made some big improvements.

I do totally agree with you on this sentiment. +1

Dan Golthing

"landing a man on the moon" = "implementing the ability to manage ZTG"

apparently its easier to land a man on the moon using vacuum tube electronics than for a mid-range CAD to implement ZTG.

OR, did we actually land on the moon after all!!???

Dave Bear

Very well voiced Dennis and certainly gives one another way of looking at the process. It will be interesting to see how the whole thing pans out.

Dave.

Rick Becker

Dennis, how are you as in tune with the inner workings at SolidWorks?

Did you (do you) work for them?

Dennis Dohogne

Rick Becker,

Worked for SolidWorks?  Never have, never will.

I did go to their offices a few years ago to be the first outsider to test what I think became Mechanical Conceptual.  I was extremely impressed with how they handled that.  I didn't pull any punches on what I told them either.  I also did everything I could then and at SWWorld2013 to bend their ear about fixing particular things and giving us all the potential capability of a new feature rather than just a teasing level of functionality.  At least one of those last things has just been implemented in 2017, four releases later.

I've just been in product development my whole career and have learned how to look at things both from a user and from a developer/designer's perspective.  It is good to walk in the other person's shoes (or as I've gotten to needing them - look through the other person's glasses).  Looking at a situation from multiple perspectives and trying to find the things that others have overlooked has served me well in my career.

SolidWorks couldn't afford me (well, maybe they could), but more importantly, they couldn't entice my wife to move away from our easy access to the Florida beaches we currently enjoy.  Now THAT would take a lot of money.

Dennis Dohogne

Just a reminder to think about how your votes will impact the results.  Not only is it important to highlight the ones you most want, it is also important to post any ideas you have for improving the software as SWX does look at the ideas as a simpler enhancement request.

SOLIDWORKS World 2017 Top Ten List

Dennis Dohogne

Vote!  But think about what you are voting for and what it is telling SolidWorks.

Shon Owl

Still I work in 2011 and works wonders and continues, but!!!! I consider that progress is necessary. If properties and the Rhino methods to add that to SW in general it is invincible! I allow even loss of a parametrization after use of methods in Rhino. But the product has to grant desires of users.

Dennis Dohogne

To everyone on this forum, please do vote emphatically with your single vote per idea.  Be aware of what you are telling the good folks at SWX.

Dennis Dohogne

When Rick Becker and I met with the development team at SWX on November 15th they showed us some information about how they researched and prioritized their efforts.  One chart was not too different from the one I posted above.  (Mine is a lot prettier PLUS my axes are labeled!).

With the Top Ten list open for idea submission I thought it would be good to bring this up again.  It is food for thought.

Dennis Dohogne

These posts evoked some healthy discussion and good ideas.  The good news is that the folks at SWX are listening and want to make some changes along these lines.  The bad news is that it is painfully slow to implement any of these changes.

Dennis Dohogne

This post is two years old and it is still on the mark.

S. Casale

....WHEN THE VOTING WORKS FOR EVERYONE...

ömür tokman

I've seen this topic now.

I wish I had seen it before.

Dennis Dohogne

I wish you would have updated this topic 15 days ago.

Dennis Dohogne

The Top Ten List is somewhat of a popularity contest.  I think that is unfortunate if it influences people to vote just for ideas to get them into the top ten of vote totals.  Some folks even look to see what is winning and vote for those because they want to vote for a winner.  (What losers those folks are, IMHO!).

Let's take a broader view of the what the Top Ten List is really about.

As I reread the original post I realize that my votes (*) would encompass a widely scattered area.  Here is how I think my votes land compared to my assessment of the the Benefit to User vs. Ease of Implementation regions:

Now let's overlay the regions I suspect are closer to the SWX developer's view of what is too much work and what is already in the queue:

So, some of the ideas I vote for are never going to happen, even though I think they could or should (SWX' red triangle larger than my red triangle) and some of the ideas are already in the works, but not as many as I would hope (SWX' blue triangle smaller than my green triangle and blue teardrop).

BUT, here is the great news, SWX pays serious attention to the Top Ten List, not just to all the ideas, but to the voting - ALL the voting, and to the comments for each idea.

The Top Ten List is not just about the ideas that get the ten highest vote counts!

Let me say that again, the Top Ten List is not just about the ideas that get the ten highest vote counts!  ALL ideas are considered as Enhancement Requests, even though we will not get an SPR for them.  But the more votes an idea gets, ANY IDEA, the more attention it will get from the developers.  We can shape these regions to the point of making SWX rethink their own assessment of the boundaries.  In other words, an idea that is in their red "Ain't gonna happen" region, perhaps on the edge, just might get pushed out of that region into the "Region of possibilities" (the areas that aren't red) if it gets enough votes.

Votes matter!  So vote for ANY idea that you think would benefit you, even if there is no chance it will make it into the top ten of vote totals.

ömür tokman

Yes, absolutely agree.

When I vote, I vote for what I think is right, not for the possibility. (in my opinion)

Rick McDonald

I am still on an older version of SWX so I don't know many of the new enhancements that have been added since then and I don't have the ability to work with the new version to see what I would like different or doesn't work as I would prefer.

This means that I have limited ability to make a good recommendation if a suggestion relates to changing or enhancing a feature that was added since SWX 2015, or for features that exist that I don't use.  I also don't use PDM, Electrical or other related programs or features.

For these reasons I didn't make any suggestions for enhancements this year (or last)(but did in previous years - closer to my version).

I will not vote based on popularity - that defeats the purpose.  I will only vote on things that describe a feature/change enough that I would like to see in the software and see a reasonable justification for it (and I make the assumption that if it is a suggestion, it means that it doesn't work or doesn't exist as the OP has suggested).

I will not have many votes this year but when i do vote it is for something that I feel I could use and would use and benefit from when I get a new version of SWX to use. 

Dennis Dohogne

Rick McDonald wrote:

I am still on an older version of SWX so I don't know many of the new enhancements that have been added since then and I don't have the ability to work with the new version to see what I would like different or doesn't work as I would prefer.       

This means that I have limited ability to make a good recommendation if a suggestion relates to changing or enhancing a feature that was added since SWX 2015, or for features that exist that I don't use. I also don't use PDM, Electrical or other related programs or features.

For these reasons I didn't make any suggestions for enhancements this year (or last)(but did in previous years - closer to my version).

I will not vote based on popularity - that defeats the purpose. I will only vote on things that describe a feature/change enough that I would like to see in the software and see a reasonable justification for it (and I make the assumption that if it is a suggestion, it means that it doesn't work or doesn't exist as the OP has suggested).       

I will not have many votes this year but when i do vote it is for something that I feel I could use and would use and benefit from when I get a new version of SWX to use.

Rick gets it!!  Voting for the ideas that will bring a benefit, not based on popularity.

Adrian Velazquez

I agree, the idea system is flawed and the ER system is horrible. I also see a big conflict of interest with the DS now selling competing products within the SolidWorks Brand:

How do I know that my awesome Ideas for SW PDM or not going to be implemented or prioritized for SW Manage?

Alin Vargatu

Adrian Velazquez wrote:

How do I know that my awesome Ideas for SW PDM or not going to be implemented or prioritized for SW Manage?

This topic should deserve a thread of its own!

There should be  common sense guidelines about what functionality goes where, so we will no longer experience aberrations like:

• Flatten Surface available only in Premium !?!?!?
                                                              • 3D Views can be created only if you have the MBD module ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

How can standard geometry features and tools not be available in SW Standard???

Dennis Dohogne

I have spent a lot of time going through this year's ideas.  The ideas themselves are very good, but the supporting comments are what makes the TTL something really fantastic.  These comments not only help to shape and define the idea they also give more insight into the users' needs.  A programmer that never thought of this idea or that is assigned to implement it, but has never really encountered the situation where the idea would be beneficial cannot really understand it without these insights.

These comments are one of the reasons why I think the TTL is superior to the current Enhancement Request system.  The ER system is so darn cumbersome to search and comment on that people just don't use it very much.  Sure, the ER system is more formal than the TTL, but that formality cripples it.

I have been told the ER/TTL systems are being completely overhauled by the folks at SWX rather than use a third-party system.  (They looked for third-party systems and were not satisfied with what they saw so they decided to do it themselves).  I just hope they run all these systems through a sieve in order to identify things that are good and things that are bad.  I'll help by running my own coarse sieve:

Things that are bad:

The current ER system is bad (except for the fact we get an SPR, that is good).

Things that are good:

The TTL openness and ease of use.  The constructive comments in the TTL.  (It would be better if the TTL ideas, once accepted by SWX, get an SPR assigned to them and we have a box we could check to be notified when the SPR is fixed).

In my long career in product development there are a few key tenets that are crucial to the success of something:

1. Look at it from the user/customer point of view.  ALWAYS!!

2. Make it simple and intuitive and people will use it.

Joffrey Leigh

I appreciate how much everyone is asking for votes, and I appreciate how much the votes will affect things.  That is why I am not voting this year.  I have only been using SolidWorks for about a year now.  I am a quick study, and have learned so much about the program from the forum, but I cannot say that I can effectually see what the limits are yet.  There are some things that have bothered me, but I have found that they could be reduced or eliminated by one or several functions within the program.  I don't want to put my votes into something that may point things in a different direction.

It would be like someone who just got their license then voting on changes to the road laws.  There is just not enough experience there yet to know for sure what needs to be changed.

I would like to say that I have really appreciated the helpful spirit many have on this forum.  My hats off to you people personally, it is a great credit to you.

Glenn Schroeder

Joffrey Leigh wrote:

I appreciate how much everyone is asking for votes, and I appreciate how much the votes will affect things. That is why I am not voting this year. I have only been using SolidWorks for about a year now. I am a quick study, and have learned so much about the program from the forum, but I cannot say that I can effectually see what the limits are yet. There are some things that have bothered me, but I have found that they could be reduced or eliminated by one or several functions within the program. I don't want to put my votes into something that may point things in a different direction.

It would be like someone who just got their license then voting on changes to the road laws. There is just not enough experience there yet to know for sure what needs to be changed.

I would like to say that I have really appreciated the helpful spirit many have on this forum. My hats off to you people personally, it is a great credit to you.

If you don't mind me saying so, you're overthinking this.  If you see an Idea and think "I'd like that new feature", then vote for it.  If you have a question about one, ask in a Reply.

Joffrey Leigh

Thank you for responding Glenn,

For example, There should be an easy way to simplify weldment profiles or resulting structural members for performance reasons (Weldments).  This is something that I work with on a daily basis ( I am designing structural steel buildings ), but I am not sure what they are trying to make faster here.  I have found when changing weldment profiles that are similar, you have to be VERY careful to choose your mates correctly, but if you are careful it becomes almost intuitive with very few mistakes.  (When I began I avoided this and just manually reattached the mates, but now I can do this in just minutes rather than a couple of hours).  Would this not be something that could be viewed as already "fixed", just not the way he expected it to be?

Rick McDonald

Joffrey,

I agree with Glenn Schroeder "If you don't mind me saying so, you're overthinking this.  If you see an Idea and think "I'd like that new feature", then vote for it.  If you have a question about one, ask in a Reply"

I understand and see your point as well, But you are in a position to make good voting choices or comments.

For some Top Ten Suggestions that don't pertain to you or that you don't know enough about, I agree that you should not vote (that is also my case since I am on older version, don't know and can't use the new features or things that were fixed / improved in the newer versions).

However, some suggestions show it is clear that something is lacking or doesn't work well in the current or previous versions.  Sometimes it is just for convenience and sometimes it is a critical lacking feature or problem.

With a year under your belt you will have used many features and will see where some are not intuitive or don't work well.  If there is a TT suggestion to fix that and the comments support what problems you have also seen, it would be very reasonable for you to vote on it.

I am voting on several items - but not on anything that I can not fully understand the problem or issue.  I don't use several features, so when I see a suggestion about them I skip over it, but things I do use or know about and have issues with - and that the comments support that fixes or upgrades are still lacking - I will (and should) vote (and would urge you to) as in this case my vote would be very reasonable..

The day will come that I will finally be able to use a new version and I would want those things to be fixed or improved.

If they were not, due to (in part) my not voting when I had the understanding and ability, I would have to realize that I didn't do my part to improve the software when I had the chance and will have to live with the problems.

Joffrey Leigh

I really appreciate your feedback Rick,

I guess I just have found in my time so far that whenever I run into a problem, or see something that could run better, I have later found that there was a work around, or a setting change, that fixed it for me.  When that was not the case, I have found that changing how I designed became imperative.  And when I do change, what I wanted to change no longer seems a problem.

I  can appreciate that there are things that really bother other users, I just am not sure how to distinguish the real problems from the ones that just need a different approach to fix them.  I have seen many users say that they have "gotten used" to a problem.  If the problem was then fixed, would they then wish for how it was before?

I will continue to look through the ideas, and if any really jump out at me I will vote, you have convinced me of that.  But I personally believe that the best vote is the one at the beginning, the allocation of R&D funding.  It could make much more difference in usability of SW.

Dennis Dohogne

Only ten days left to vote:  SOLIDWORKS World 2019 Top Ten List

Please add your comments pro or con and vote for the ideas you want implemented, whether they make it into the top ten or not.  This is a great chance to tell SWX what you want.

Dan Golthing

But, will anything come of it?  What is the conversion rate of previous TTLs?

Dennis Dohogne

Dan Golthing wrote:

But, will anything come of it? What is the conversion rate of previous TTLs?

Here is a data grab from Dan Hertzberg's website:  SolidWorks World Top Ten List Data – Dan Herzberg

2018List No.Idea DescriptionFirst Appearance on Top Ten ListNo. Appearances on Top Ten ListImplemented?Years to ImplementationImplemented Feature
                                                                                10Add Option to limit Coincident Mate to area of face selected, for all types of faces20181NoN/A-
                                                                                9Close Parent on "Save as Copy and Open"20181NoN/A-
                                                                                8Make patterns consistent across the board20181NoN/A-
                                                                                7Add Ability to project any type of entity (face, component, body, etc.) on a plane or surface.20181NoN/A-
                                                                                6Enhance Cut List table functionality to match BOM table functionality20181NoN/A-
                                                                                5The "What's Wrong" dialog should have links to each specific problem and better descriptions20181NoN/A
                                                                                4Unbend any profile (tube, pipe, bent component) similar to the sheet metal functionality20181NoN/A-
                                                                                3Option for Offset Surface to offset all possible faces20181NoN/A-
                                                                                2Coatings feature20181NoN/AGeneral Speed/Performance/Stability Improvements made with every release.
                                                                                1Allow equations (including IF/THEN statements) in defining custom properties20181NoN/AGeneral Speed/Performance/Stability Improvements made with every release.
                                                                                2017List No.Idea DescriptionFirst Appearance on Top Ten ListNo. Appearances on Top Ten ListImplemented?Years to ImplementationImplemented Feature
                                                                                10Fully-Integrated Sub-D modeling20171NoN/A-
                                                                                9Automatic Fasener BOM creation without physically inserting fasteners into assembly20162NoN/A-
                                                                                8Bounding Box values for any parts or assemblies2016220182-
                                                                                7External Reference graphical display (like Treehouse)20102NoN/A-
                                                                                6Export BOM with Model thumbnail included in Excelfile20162NoN/A-
                                                                                5Completely relese memory / GDI handle when file is uploaded20092NoN/A
                                                                                4Allow Zero Thickness Geometry (ZTG)20152NoN/A-
                                                                                3Improve performance & qualiy when importing large IGES & STEP files, especially w/ small faces2017120181-
                                                                                2Substantially increase stability in SolidWorks20095YearlyYearlyGeneral Speed/Performance/Stability Improvements made with every release.
                                                                                1Focus more on bug fixes!20022YearlyYearlyGeneral Speed/Performance/Stability Improvements made with every release.
                                                                                2016List No.Idea DescriptionFirst Appearance on Top Ten ListNo. Appearances on Top Ten ListImplemented?Years to ImplementationImplemented Feature
                                                                                10Revert to eDrawings 2013 Engine and Interface for Desktops20161NoN/A-
                                                                                9Automatic Fastener BOM for Large Assemblies20162NoN/A-
                                                                                8Ability to Use End Points of Sketch Lines for Hole Wizard Holes2016120171Exists only in Advanced Hole feature
                                                                                7Automate Explode Line Creation2016120182Smart Explode Line Tool
                                                                                6Enhance Fillet, Chamfer, and Other Functions for Multi-Body Parts20161NoN/A-
                                                                                5Bounding Box Values for any Component2016220182Bounding box capabilities extended to all parts, not just weldments
                                                                                4Move Assembly Sketch to Component20161NoN/A-
                                                                                3Use ALT to Temporarily Hide Face Under Cursor when Mating2016120182-
                                                                                2Ability to Export BOM Table with Thumbnail Images of Components20162NoN/ASee What's Coming in SolidWorks 2017
                                                                                1Create a “Classic” mode GUI option in SolidWorks 2016 that emulates SolidWorks 20152016120160Classic icon mode
                                                                                2015List No.Idea DescriptionFirst Appearance on Top Ten ListNo. Appearances on Top Ten ListImplemented?Years to ImplementationImplemented Feature
                                                                                10Variable Pull Direction Draft20151NoN/A-
                                                                                9Topology Optimization from Tosca for all Engineers20151NoN/A-
                                                                                8Both Direction Pattern2015120172Circular Pattern Direction 2
                                                                                7Selecting Inner Loops of a Selected Face2015120161
                                                                                6Ability to make Inferred Relations Permanent in Sketch20151NoN/A-
                                                                                5Display the Exact Item Causing the Error20151NoN/A-
                                                                                4Selection List Box too Small! Should be Bigger or Flexible Size2015120161Expandable PropertyManager Input Boxes
                                                                                3Export Sheet Metal Parts of an Assembly to .dxf/.dwg in Flat State20151NoN/A-
                                                                                2Bidirectional Sweep2015120161Two-direction sweep
                                                                                1Support Zero Thickness Geometry20152NoN/A-
                                                                                2014List No.Idea DescriptionFirst Appearance on Top Ten ListNo. Appearances on Top Ten ListImplemented?Years to ImplementationImplemented Feature
                                                                                10Auto-hide assembly components while mating new components2014120162Make Components Transparent for Mating
                                                                                9Provide a Purge Data command to reduce file size2014120162Purge Unused Features (2016) / Purge Configuration Data (2013)
                                                                                8List quantity of identical holes in a hole callout2014120173-
                                                                                7Redefine a fillet to a chamfer from within the same command (and vice versa)2014120173Combined Fillet/Chamfer Feature
                                                                                6Redefine angular dimensions after they have been placed2014120151Vertically Opposite and Explementary Angles
                                                                                5Unlimited Undo/Redo20141NoN/A-
                                                                                4ESC should always return control to the UI20016NoN/A-
                                                                                3Draw line from midpoint2013220152Midpoint Line
                                                                                2Rename components from the Feature Manager Tree2007220169Rename Component from FeatureManager
                                                                                1Equal spacing options for linear patterns2013220152Up to Reference
                                                                                2013List No.Idea DescriptionFirst Appearance on Top Ten ListNo. Appearances on Top Ten ListImplemented?Years to ImplementationImplemented Feature
                                                                                10Create auxiliary line for dimensioning angles2013120152Dimension to imaginary line
                                                                                9Draw a line segment starting from the midpoint2013220152Midpoint Line
                                                                                8External thread wizard for all thread types2012220164Thread Creation Wizard
                                                                                7Default concentric mate for axis to cylindrical surface2013120141Changes to mate behavior
                                                                                6Option for equal spacing on linear patterns2013220152Up to Reference
                                                                                5Provide a version of the eDrawings mobile app for Android devices2013120130App on Google Play
                                                                                4 Cylindrical mates need an option to lock rotation2012220142Changes to Mate Behavior
                                                                                3Slot mate2013120141Slot Mate
                                                                                2True backward compatibility20035NoN/A-
                                                                                1Make rebuild time faster20094YearlyYearlyGeneral Speed/Performance/Stability Improvements made with every release.
                                                                                2012List No.Idea DescriptionFirst Appearance on Top Ten ListNo. Appearances on Top Ten ListImplemented?Years to ImplementationImplemented Feature
                                                                                10Thread creation wizard2012220164Thread Creation Wizard
                                                                                9Add "Lock Rotation" option to cylindrical mates2012220142Changes to Mate Behavior
                                                                                8Escape key should immediately return control of the interface!20016NoN/A-
                                                                                7Dimensions should stay where you place them201212010Already Avail.Toggle "Reduce spacing when dimensions are deleted or edited..."
                                                                                6Ability to control a plane's front and back side orientation2012120142Flip Normal
                                                                                5Reduce the bounding box of drawing views to visible components only2012120153Zoom to sheet
                                                                                4Address the Shaded with Edges bleed-through issue2012120142Graphics improvements
                                                                                3Don't delete your children, dangle them instead!2010320144Advanced Confirm Delete dialog
                                                                                2Mass properties should include option to automatically put point at Center of Gravity2008220135Center of Mass in Parts, Assemblies, and Drawings
                                                                                1Start using more CPU cores whenever its possible20103NoN/A-
                                                                                2011List No.Idea DescriptionFirst Appearance on Top Ten ListNo. Appearances on Top Ten ListImplemented?Years to ImplementationImplemented Feature
                                                                                10Pressing escape key should immediately return control of the interface20016NoN/A-
                                                                                9File Compatibility between versions20035201310Previous Release Interoperability
                                                                                8Make the "Ideas" section of the forum available all year, not just for SWW20111
                                                                                7Convert a Solid body into a Surface body without having to delete, offset, or knit faces20111NoN/A-
                                                                                6Enhanced equations input, linking, and editing2009320123Equation overhaul
                                                                                5Freeze Features2009220123Feature Freeze Bar
                                                                                4SolidWorks should cleanly uninstall itself2010220122Complete/Custom uninstall
                                                                                3Option to dangle children instead of deleting them2010320144Advanced Confirm Delete dialog
                                                                                2Better utilize processor cores20103NoN/A-
                                                                                1Angle Mates that don’t flip at random2011120155Angle Mate reference direction
                                                                                2010List No.Idea DescriptionFirst Appearance on Top Ten ListNo. Appearances on Top Ten ListImplemented?Years to ImplementationImplemented Feature
                                                                                10Simplify video card requirements20101
                                                                                9Exploded views for weldments2010120122Exploded views of multi-body parts
                                                                                8Option to dangle children, instead of deleting2010320144Advanced Confirm Delete dialog
                                                                                7Graphical map of references2010220155Dymanic Reference Vizualization
                                                                                6Allow more types of assembly features20101201112011: Fillets & Chamfers, 2013: Swept Cut
                                                                                5Better utilization of proccessors20103NoN/A-
                                                                                4On-the-fly equations in dialog boxes2009320123Equation overhaul
                                                                                3File compatibility between versions20035201310Previous Release Interoperability
                                                                                2Increase Stability20095YearlyYearlyGeneral Speed/Performance/Stability Improvements made with every release.
                                                                                1SolidWorks should cleanly uninstall itself2010220122Complete/Custom uninstall
                                                                                2009List No.Idea DescriptionFirst Appearance on Top Ten ListNo. Appearances on Top Ten ListImplemented?Years to ImplementationImplemented Feature
                                                                                10Excel Behavior in Tables2009120101Table Behavior Enhancements
                                                                                9Abort any running commands by pressing ESC20016NoN/A-
                                                                                8Add lock points for model rebuild2009220123Feature Freeze Bar
                                                                                7Dual monitor support2007320125Span Displays & Fit to Displays
                                                                                6On the fly equation creation & editing2009320123Equation overhaul
                                                                                5Faster rebuilds on complex models20094YearlyYearlyGeneral Speed/Performance/Stability Improvements made with every release.
                                                                                4Ability to rename configs while referenced2009120090Configuration Behavior Enhancements
                                                                                3SolidWorks backwards compatibility20035201310Previous Release Interoperability
                                                                                2Clear memory when file is closed20092
                                                                                1Increase program stability20095YearlyYearlyGeneral Speed/Performance/Stability Improvements made with every release.
                                                                                2008List No.Idea DescriptionFirst Appearance on Top Ten ListNo. Appearances on Top Ten ListImplemented?Years to ImplementationImplemented Feature
                                                                                10Provide support for dual monitors2007320125Span Displays & Fit to Displays
                                                                                9Recreate all mates when mirroring components2006320104Mirror Component Pattern
                                                                                8Undo should have a corresponding Redo20081NoN/A-
                                                                                7Clearance-check in assemblies similar to interference detection2006320093Clearance Verification
                                                                                6Ability to lock a configuration2008120124Feature Freeze Bar
                                                                                5Mirror assembly features2007220169Mirror Assembly Features
                                                                                4Ability to create a point at the centre of mass2008220135Center of Mass in Parts, Assemblies, and Drawings
                                                                                3Create more than one exploded view per assembly configuration2005220138Multiple exploded views per configuration
                                                                                2Fixed length spline2008120146Enhancements to Smart Dimension
                                                                                1Allow adding coordinates in detail views based off of the zero in the parent view2008120102Ordinate dimension enhancements
                                                                                2007List No.Idea DescriptionFirst Appearance on Top Ten ListNo. Appearances on Top Ten ListImplemented?Years to ImplementationImplemented Feature
                                                                                10Clearance check in assemblies similar to interference detection2006320093Clearance Verification
                                                                                9Mirror assembly features2007220169Mirror Assembly Features
                                                                                8Provide support for dual monitors2007320125Span Displays & Fit to Displays
                                                                                7Title Block Wizard – dialog box to input all title block info2007120092Define Title Block
                                                                                6Flat pattern of a mirrored sheet metal part2007120158Sheet Metal features included in mirror command
                                                                                5Slot feature or slot option in Hole Wizard2007120147Slots in Hole Wizard
                                                                                4Input dimensions in drawing views of a mirrored or derived part2005220094Dimensions in Mirrored and Derived Parts
                                                                                3Ability to rename components (filenames) from the assembly2007220169Rename Component from FeatureManager
                                                                                2Propagate assembly features back into parts as features2005220094Assembly Feature Propagation
                                                                                1Recreate all mates when mirroring components2006320104Mirror Component Pattern
                                                                                    Dan Golthing

quite a few, but there's a roughly 2 year cycle to implementation.

Sometime, somebody inside SolidWorks needs to walk around the halls and do a video of how the software is created and updated.  It would be interesting to follow the process.

# of appearances is interesting.

Dennis Dohogne

Just looking at the information from Dan Hertzberg's collection it is evident that the ideas typically take a few years for implementation.  SWX has at least three major versions of the software in work at any given point.  Right now they still have aspects of 2018 they are working with, probably to solve problems in a 2019 Service Pack.  SWX2019 is very active and so is SWX2020.  As SWX2018 rolls off SWX2021 will be coming more into focus for them, but I'll bet it is already an active project.

Dan's list shows only the results of the top ten from years past.  It does not have any of the detailed descriptions of those ideas, much less the supporting comments they had.  Also, there is nothing anywhere that shows the rest of the ideas, and there are usually 600-1,000+ each year.  We have no idea about the number of times they appeared in the TTL, how many votes they had, when they first appeared, or the comments on those ideas, however, it is easy to see that a lot of those ideas have in fact shown up in the software.  I may not recall the exact wording used, but each year in the rollout sessions I recognize new features/abilities that were listed as TTL ideas.

So VOTE for the ideas in the current TTL.  Vote for something you would like to see in the software, regardless of where it ends up in the final ranking.

Comment on them (pro or con).  These comments are pure gold for the developers.

Write down your ideas to save for next year's list (and in the meantime submit them as Enhancement Requests).

Dave Laban

It would be great if in the "What's New" document for a major release anything that was a product of the TTL was highlighted.  Doesn't necessarily need to go in to the detail of when it was suggested, how many votes it got or where it was on the list, just a flag that said where it came from.

Richard Gergely

Dennis I wonder if it is typical that only so many enhancements in one area of Solidworks will be allowed each year so that all areas see benefits. This could limit how fast top ten ideas hit Solidworks. If one year for example a lot of idea were all sketch related they would need to spread it over more years.

As for votes, while I don't think the actual enhancements suffer from it as much as further down the list, you can see there is block voting of sorts. So lets hope Solidworks don't take too much notice of exact vote numbers further down the list and just take the ideas.

Dennis Dohogne

Richard Gergely wrote:

Dennis I wonder if it is typical that only so many enhancements in one area of Solidworks will be allowed each year so that all areas see benefits. This could limit how fast top ten ideas hit Solidworks. If one year for example a lot of idea were all sketch related they would need to spread it over more years.

As for votes, while I don't think the actual enhancements suffer from it as much as further down the list, you can see there is block voting of sorts. So lets hope Solidworks don't take too much notice of exact vote numbers further down the list and just take the ideas.

Richard, I suspect the opposite is true.  I remember one year where the big news at the new version rollout was all the improvements to drawings, like that was their big focus that year (though there were other nice improvements as well).  From a programming perspective this makes a lot of sense since when you get into one area of the software you have to be careful of all the other things that area is supposed to do; while there you might as well upgrade everything that is on the table for that area.

There are things about the development philosophy at SWX that will never be revealed to us, so all we can do is to tell them what we want.  I'm just looking for the best way to make that happen.  Obviously I have been a huge proponent of changes on the SWX end to make the systems easier for us to use and therefore more effective at getting them good information.

I am grateful that SWX practices active listening and really does want to know what we want, but software this advanced and this capable should be embarrassed by the ER/KB/TTL systems they have in place today.