15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2016 12:43 PM by Brian Hillner

What is the best method to create an Emissive LCD/TFT Screen?

Alex Doran

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to get a render from Visualize where there is a TFT Screen on a 3D Printer, I have a Decal / Bitmap of what displays on the screen, which i can assign as a decal, but i also want light to emit from the screen too.

The screen is modelled with a backlight and the actual screen, i have assigned an emissive to the backlight but i cant get the correct outcome with the Display part.

Generally what method would be used to achieve this?

Thanks

Alex

• Re: What is the best method to create an Emissive LCD/TFT Screen?
          Ron Bates

Hi Alex,

By default you do not see appearance (material) properties for a decal.

BUT you can actually drag/drop an appearance ONTO a decal in the view and this will actually apply the appearances properties to the decal image.

In your case, you should create a new appearance, set it to be an emissive type appearance in the drop down. I recommend starting with a brightness value of 1.0 with color of white.  (As it gets brighter it can begin to wash out the decal image.  So adjust brightness and color accordingly only after you set it up with white, 1.0 first).  Drag and drop this material onto your decal and it will be emissive.

Ron

Alex Doran

Hi Ron,

Thank you very much! Appears i was completely over thinking it ha, i will post a picture of the outcome once the render has finished.

Thanks

Alex

Brian Hillner

Thanks for the tips, Ron!

You can apply any appearance to a decal...this is super helpful and can create some awesome results.

• To change the color of your entire decal, create any desired appearance and then drag that onto your decal.
                  • To add a specific texture to your decal, for example to match the part's texture where the decal sits on, simply create a new appearance with the same base color as your original decal, then add the same Bump texture from the surrounding part. Drag that onto the decal and voilà!
                  • To add a layer of clearcoat to your decal, meaning make it reflective without changing the color of the decal underneath, create a new appearance; make it a Paint; make it 100% white; then drag it onto your decal. This is how you can add clearcoat to your decals, and then adjust the Clearcoat and Clearcoat Roughness to tweak the amount of reflection on your decal.
                  • To make decals appear 'ghosted' on into your model, create a Glass appearance, make it 100% white, and then drag it onto your decal. Then adjust the Roughness slider to achieve the desired effect. You can create some pretty cool results with this trick!
                  • And one last trick: to make your decals glow, like for mobile phone screens, car navigation screens, backlit LED displays, etc...all you have to do is create a new appearance and make it an Emissive. Drag that onto your decal and now you can control the intensity and color of the emissive appearance to make your decal glow! Tip: with Visualize Pro you can enable the 'Bloom' filter on your camera to make the glowing decal have a glow halo around it, for even more photorealism!

Have fun exploring!

Marcus Olsson

Quick example I did.

Multi layer material, bottom layer is the emissive screen, next layer is a alpha map with whatever is supposed to be visible.

Render time in fast mode is 30 seconds.

terminal.jpg

Alex Doran

Ok, so here is the render of my TFT, this is done having the "Base Screen" as an Emissive with the Colour Map set to the screen image, infront of that there is then the Glass Screen which i set to the Diamond Glass , i think having the models butted against each other in solidworks affects how the Base Screen shines through when trying to use other appearances.

This was 1000 Passes, also note my 3D Printed Plastic appearance i have been working on

Cronos Spec-1 2.png

Comments and criticism welcome.

Thanks

Alex

Brian Hillner

Hi Alex,

Thanks for posting! Great result from the Color map on the emissive appearance. The reflection line across the glass screen turned out nice as well.

The thickness of the actual physical glass isn't more than 1mm or so in real life, but you can play with the 'Solid' check box of the diamond glass appearance. Again, it's not too thick in real life so this 'Solid' check box might not even show anything, but you might see some refraction of the LCD screen below.

Also, if you have Visualize Pro, you can add a realistic 'Bloom' effect to your camera to make your LCD screen glow. Not always needed, but can provide some really amazing effects.

REALLY COOL 3D printed appearance! There's been a ton of customers asking for an appearance like this in our Cloud Library. If you are willing to share it, send me a private message and we can go from there.

Cool image!