50 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2017 12:19 PM by Dennis Dohogne

How stable is SW 2017?

Ryan McVay

I am looking at making a serious upgrade from SW 2013 SP5 + EPDM + Driveworks 9 to either SW 2017 SP1 (when it comes out) or to SW 2016 SP5. I was wondering how many people have been testing SW 2017 and what issues they have been reporting. I talked to my VAR (they are a great bunch) and their comment was that they haven't had to help anyone moving to SW 2017. Most are moving to SW 2016 SP5.

My concern with moving to SW 2016 SP5 is that we don't make jumps often. We have a complex system and well...my IT "group" has kept putting off building out the "new" full test and development environments. I was set to roll to SW 2016 in March of this year...and well, here I sit. Since we've spent over $120k in maintenance since 2013..I don't want to install a version, 2016, that will not be supported in 2 years time.

Thanks for the input!

• Re: How stable is SW 2017?
          Chris Saller

No problems here.

I think you will like the change from 2013.

Check your server first to be sure it's up to spec for 2017.

Glenn Schroeder

I've been using SW2017 for production work since a day or two after it was released, with no issues, but I'm not using EPDM or Driveworks, so my results may not be the same as yours.

Christopher Sudlik

Compared to the 2016 SP0,1 release then, would you say it's a dramatic improvement in stability? A lot of the new features look really exciting and useful, but we are swamped right now for the foreseeable future, I worry a lot about the potential slow downs after the three months of misery and frustration from constant crashes, glitches, errors after the 2016 upgrade, and the costs the glitches imposed when I missed a few of them.

Glenn Schroeder

Christopher,

I haven't had any significant problems with crashes since SW2013, so I can't say for sure that you'll see improvement.  I wish I could give you better assurance.

Glenn

Christopher Sudlik

Well shoot. I bet few if any of the users who complained loudly about 16 sp0, sp1 aren't going to be on 17 sp0 then. I'm still confused how people didn't have those problems, I had them on 3 different computers doing entirely different sets of tasks with entirely different builds.

Glenn Schroeder

Do you use any type of PDM?  From what I've gathered reading posts here I'm convinced it can cause crashes.  I've always just used Windows Explorer.

I am also having many issues with SWX 2016 and I started on SP3 and am now on SP5 and I am still having a lot of issues.

The most annoying problem I am having is selecting items in an assembly because I am getting a 3-4 second pause after say selecting a face to mate another part in the assembly. When I select the first face it will a lot of times give me the long delay and then I select the 2nd face I again get the delay so when this is happening it is a nightmare to build your assembly. I used the SolidWorks Rx to record this and sent a report and all of the files to SolidWorks and then I also sent it to my VAR and that was over 2 weeks ago and I still have never heard back from anyone. The 2016 version has been the worst version I have ever worked on and I have been using SolidWorks since 2004. I typically will skip a release and I only upgrade every 2 years and I find the yearly update troublesome but since I am having so many issues with 2016 I am looking to upgrade to 2017 as soon as I feel it is at least somewhat stable. I am also seeing a much longer load time when opening parts or assemblies and I am not working on a network drive I am on a local hard drive. I have some parts that are nothing more than a thin CRS steel plate with 4 holes and it takes several seconds to open for no reason. I have some larger assemblies that were created in 2015 and loaded in just a couple of seconds but in 2016, even after converting all of the files over to 2016, this same assembly takes 3-4 times longer to load. SWX 2016 has cost me dozens of hours of work trying to work around all of the issues so I am a little pissed off right now and I might not renew my license this year if I don't get some answers or some help.

Tony

Ronald van Til

Have been using SW2017 for a few weeks now. Installed it on my own system and it is working flawlessly; installed it on a customers system and encountered a few problems. I must say with this customer I'm working on a few small 'sketch' projects with a lot of virtual components and assemblies. After install I had some problems, did some cleaning of registry settings - did to much cleaning and restored some - and it is now performing moderate (crashes sometimes on opening of these assemblies with virtual components, sometimes crashes on saving of assemblies). I'm afraid I see a clean install coming in the near future. My own system with SW2017 is running flawless and for now I'm content with SW2017.

Ryan McVay

Ronald van Til The word "stability" is a bit ambiguous these days. As you mentioned SW will install and run on one machine and then cause major problems on another workstation with the identical hardware specs. You should see the precise order that has to happen to get SW 2013 Sp5 installed on a new workstation running Windows 7 Pro these days. I've found that I need to uninstall all the C++ redistributables, .Net and other components after the initial install and then reinstall them in the correct order..then you pray that the user doesn't require a software that checks and installs other C++ components...then you have to start all over again.

Needless to say, software should not be this difficult to install or uninstall. I pine for the days simple software install/unistalls.

Austin Broeker

We upgraded from 2015 SP3 a little over a month ago and I've only noticed a few "quirky" problems that popped up since the upgrade. SW still crashes every now and then, but that isn't anything new for us. I'm convinced that the crashing and most of our other serious issues are due to the hardware configurations of our machines rather than an internal problem with the software (our laptops get spec'd out by people that have no clue what SW is, so they are not optimized to run it well in the first place).

We've been using EPDM for years and have now transitioned to PDM Professional, and I haven't noticed any additional problems there at all. In fact, there are a few significant improvements that I am extremely glad they added - my favorite being the ability for clients to be on a newer service pack than the server. The tedious process of upgrading our PDM servers was the reason why we upgraded so infrequently, but now I'm hoping that's no longer an issue. Our plan was actually to upgrade to 2016 SP5 until I learned about this new feature.

All-in-all, I'm glad we went with 2017 SP0 rather than 2016 SP5. We were originally scheduled to upgrade back in June, but I couldn't get around to it right away... so hooray for procrastination in this case.

Alex Sheydayi

sw2017 sp1.0

Tons of issues I have never had with previous releases. I have 1 assembly that crashes no matter what I do, and its not a very big assembly. Tried to rebuild it from scratch, and it crashed again when I went to mirror a component. Only had the upgrade a few days, so I expect other files will crash too. I would not recommend this release.  SP2.0 can't come fast enough - if it fixes these issues....

just for ref: other major problem was extremely slow loading times - like 50X slower. You can search the forum as I did - only solution that worked was to delete all paths under Referenced Files in the settings.

UPDATE: I have recreated the crash with 3 very basic shapes. I have forwarded it to my VAR - they have reproduced the crash and have forwarded it to Solidworks. The killer seems to be with mating cones to a flat surface. I have cone point set screws up against a flat surface in some assemblies - those are the ones that crash in SW2017 SP1.0 that worked perfectly fine in SW2016. A workaround (for now) seems to be to open the assy as lightweight, delete the offending cone parts, save, then reopen normally and figure out some other way to insert and mate those components.

Chris Clouser

Alex Sheydayi wrote:

sw2017 sp1.0

Tons of issues I have never had with previous releases. I have 1 assembly that crashes no matter what I do, and its not a very big assembly. Tried to rebuild it from scratch, and it crashed again when I went to mirror a component. Only had the upgrade a few days, so I expect other files will crash too. I would not recommend this release. SP2.0 can't come fast enough - if it fixes these issues....

just for ref: other major problem was extremely slow loading times - like 50X slower. You can search the forum as I did - only solution that worked was to delete all paths under Referenced Files in the settings.

UPDATE: I have recreated the crash with 3 very basic shapes. I have forwarded it to my VAR - they have reproduced the crash and have forwarded it to Solidworks. The killer seems to be with mating cones to a flat surface. I have cone point set screws up against a flat surface in some assemblies - those are the ones that crash in SW2017 SP1.0 that worked perfectly fine in SW2016. A workaround (for now) seems to be to open the assy as lightweight, delete the offending cone parts, save, then reopen normally and figure out some other way to insert and mate those components.

Thanks for all your time and effort spent troubleshooting this issue.  Your check from SWX should be arriving in the mail any time now.

Alex Sheydayi

UPDATE: Feb 21, 2017

YES!  SP2.0 is here. And, they have fixed the program crash when mating 3 basic parts! Maybe I shouldn't be so excited a $5k CAD system can mate 3 basic parts...

Ryan

I am on 2016 SP5, started on SP3, and am still having a lot of issues. 2016 has been the worst version I have worked on and I think it is where they changed to the new interface and they must of had to write a bunch of new code because it has been extremely buggy and frustrating and I still haven't received any reason on why. The issue costing me the most time currently is when selecting faces, planes or parts in a assembly I am getting a 3-4 second delay from when I select the item until I get the popup menu and when you are trying to create your assembly and every time you select a face to mate you get the delay so it significantly increases the time to assemble the parts. Also for some reason over time my Hole Wizard Favorites keep getting scrambled up and on Counterbored holes when this happens I am getting a 39.937 head clearance and we do not use the head clearance (which is really kind of dumb) and I have the all of the screw sizes set to 0.000 head clearance so I have no ideal where it is picking up the 39.937 but it appears to be going to Meters and I am working in inch not metric. I have used the Rx to record the delay from selecting faces or planes and sent this to SolidWorks and I also sent a copy to my VAR but have yet to get a response from anybody and I sent the files on 1/04/17.

I guess my point is to be very cautious moving to 2016 because I wish I had never upgraded. I was using 2015 before upgrading and rarely did I have any issues and I am working on a Dell Precision T5810 workstation that is well beyond even the recommend system requirements. I would stay clear of 2016 and look at 2017 but be sure to test well before committing to it.

I would like to see SolidWorks stop the yearly updates that usually have hundreds of new features, which are sure to be buggy for at least the first couple service packs, and they still haven't fixed half of the bugs from the last version. Also coming from 2015 to 2016 the load times for parts and assemblies has increased so why keep spending thousands of dollars a year for software that in many ways is getting worse instead of better. I would prefer a more reliable software because 2016 has cost me countless hours of added design times and I spend a good portion of time trying to find a workaround.

I upgraded this year from 2013 to 2017, I have only used 2017 a little. I first started using SW since 2000.

I had a lot of problems getting it to import an iges file that imported OK in 2013. Finally got it sorted after a few crashes. I don't use pdm.

My first impression of 2017 was, OH MY GOD what have they done to the gui, it looks awful, so bland, after changing a few things I got it looking a bit better with some color. It still looks awful, like the interface has gone backwards. I think I will be sticking with 2013 until things improve with 2017.

Dennis Dohogne

Les Orton, if you object to 2017 because of its UI then you'll be stuck on 2013 for a looooong time.  Apparently you did not see 2016 from SP0-3.  You would have screamed just like a lot of us did.  I doubt SolidWorks will make any more changes to the UI.  It was like pulling teeth from a reluctant elephant to get them to give us the option for the classic colors.

That said, you might be better off staying with 2013 versus going to 2017.  I regret moving to 2017 due to the unpredictable problems that surfaced about a month after I made the switch.  By then it was too late as so many of our files had been saved in 2017.  I do still have 2016 on my machine to deal with the fatal 2017 problem we encountered that has not yet been solved.

Thanks for the advice Dennis. 2013 does everything I need and is stable. It would be a problem moving back as Solidworks always changes the file format for every release.

Ben D.

In the basic manner, upgrading to SP5 is the safest solution, because it has the latest patches for bugs,crash and stability issues and so on. So, if the version you are going to install will be stuck on your machine for 3 more years, I would go with 2016 SP5.

Especially you should think about the fact that changing the release from 2016 SP5 to 2017 SPSomething later this year (say at the end of the year when 2017 SP5 will be available) would require much more energy: you would need more work to upgrade your PDM system, toolbox, library parts, and so on. So it would be a double work: now moving to 2016, later moving to 2017.

On the other hand, if you choose the 2017 SP1 now, then later this year you can install a newer service pack, which is a lot easier procedure than changing a "year" version. It all depends on your situation

John Stoltzfus

Update from here -

The past few weeks had been 2017 SP0 nightmares - incredibly slow, crashed more in the last 3 - 4 weeks then I think I did in all of 2016 - just blink - gone, no warning, no report window nothing just blink, so on Friday our IT guy installed 2017 SP2 and yeah only two days, but no crashes doing the same thing I was doing last week...

One thing to add is - It wasn't like this right away, I thought 2017 SP0 was great at first, but here everything is setup for automatic Windows updates and I would hedge my bets that it had to do more with the Windows updates then SW.  Now I am wondering if a SP1 update would have been the answer????

This was early December

Andreas Rhomberg

Unable to save BOM to Excel anymore?

with this lovely message!