3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2016 12:52 PM by Patrick Colliflower

save pdf and open

Thomas Horst

We have our EPDM workflow set up with a task that saves PDF files of our drawings on approval. When this task runs on our task host server, sometimes the PDFs have issues. We aren't sure if it's a video card compatibility, or missing font library, or what is causing it, but the text sometimes displays differently, and views have issues, etc. These drawings end up getting rejected, and so we really need to make sure they are all coming out clean.

We would really like to inspect these PDF files after they are created, but right now the only way to do this is to track down each one from the file system where it has been placed after generation.

We would love to have a way of opening the PDFs automatically on the machine of whoever launches the transition so that they can just click through them really quick to make sure they all look good, but I haven't' been able to find a way to do this. I tried setting the task host to run on the machine of whoever initiates the task instead of on the server, but while this does show every drawing briefly while they are generating, it doesn't seem to leave the PDFs open after saving, even if the "view after saving" option is enabled. I started digging into the API to see if I could add a PDF open command in the VBA script in the advanced script options, but I'm not sure if I can get that to do what I want. And that still doesn't run the taks on the server, so it will still lock up the engineer's machine all during the save, which is what we were trying to avoid by having the task automatic in the first place.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

• Re: save pdf and open
          Ryan Sullivan

Is the embedded fonts option turned on in the task properties? This should solve the font issues.

Thomas Horst

Yes, "Embed fonts" is checked.

That resolved some issues where the PDF itself opened differently on different machines, but the PDFs themselves are coming out wrong. The way the actual .slddrw renders on the server is sometimes different than how it looks on the workstations, and it gets PDF'd that way. Sometimes the PDF just doesn't match what we see in solidworks, like a detail view that is blank, or not cropped correctly.

It would be great to get all of these issues resolved and have them come out right every time, but the first step is to be able to look at them and find out what the mistakes are, and when it's doing them.

I tried changing from a "convert" type task to a "print" type task with the printer set to "Adobe PDF", but then it forces the user to name and choose a save location. It does open the PDFs after saving, though. At that point, it's almost a totally manual process and there's not much point in having the task at all.

Patrick Colliflower

I am having similar issues, but only with a font sourced from the internet, downloaded to my machine.

I would think that the checkbox should fix any issues, but I get no difference.