15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 1:30 PM by Alessandro Tornincasa

SOLIDWORKS MBD 2017 Enhancements

Oboe Wu

Just thought this deck would be interesting to this group here:

1. What are the new enhancements in SOLIDWORKS MBD 2017?
      2. Why are they relevant?

There are some quick GIF animations to show the workflows.

You may need to show the slides at full screen mode for them to play.

How would you see these in your workflows? What are the key gaps you are facing today?

Thanks,

-Oboe

• Re: SOLIDWORKS MBD 2017 Enhancements
          Mark Biasotti

Hi Oboe,

Thanks for the deck. Glad to see that you are still championing MBD. I'd say the biggest bottle-neck for me not using MBD is that a lot of our parts are injection molded and have features that can not be dimension with MBD. Don't get me wrong, we do a lot of machined parts here at Spanner, but the problem is that even if we could do those parts with MBD, others in our drawing package we could not and therefore it would not be a coherent presentation for our vendors.

It seems that MBD is still only applicable for machined parts, but there are other manufacturing processes that MBD still has not addressed. Would you agree?  Is there hope on the horizon?

Actually my key interest in MBD in SW is actually for Tolerance analysis (prerequisite for Tolanlyst)  - now your talking about a reason to drive toward MBD!

Mark

James Warburton

I agree with Mark's comment about additional manufacturing processes.  We could considerably reduce our time to market if we had MBD functionality for assembly and welding processes.

-James

Ryan McVay

Totally agree. Being able to do a tolerance stack-up would be wonderful. Then we could start to look at variation deviations. Then going one step further with a history to show how changes or tooling wear are effecting the variations.

Casey Gorman

Ryan,

You do know that you can use TolAnalyst for tolerance stack up? It needs DimXpert dimensions just like MBD.

I am not sure that MBD would be the type of tool to use to show tooling wear and the variations. That sounds more like an unrelated tool.

Ryan McVay

I don't know much about that tool. It looks promising. It is the very beginning of a good quality system. Google "youtube Dimensional Quality". See what was available back in 2011.

What I am referring to in "tooling wear and variations" is a recorded history of quality inspections (CMM) of components over its lifecycle. This data is stored in a system and can be overlayed to show a "historic" changes or unexpected changes. This type of data can be tied to warranty or failures in the field. It's not unrelated at all. Just further down the MBD workflow.

Casey Gorman

Mark,

From the stand point of an organic shaped injection molded part, I would thing that the STEP242 used for MBD would be very helpful. As you well know, defining an organic shape dimensionally can be challenging or impossible in some cases.

I see the drive to MBD as being able to use a single file to make the part (machine part or tooling for mold core and cavity) to inspection of the part and/or tooling.

Sheet metal to me is still a little challenge in MBD, but are still doable. Just out of curiosity where do you see the short comings? I am asking partly to see if I can include some answers in my SWW17 presentation.

In regards to assemblies, being able to select a part in the parts list table and have it highlight is a plus. For me, it falls down when that part is inside of the assembly and not easily seen. It would be nice if the other parts went transparent and/or zoomed into the part(s)

James Warburton

Casey,

In my mind, being able to call out an adhesive spec, bolting spec, welding spec, etc. would provide a vehicle to convey assembly annotations in a paperless environment.  In this environment, the designer would select two surfaces and then have a library of internal specifications to choose from in order to control how the two objects behave relative to one another.  Similar to mates but with additional intelligence.  Smart mates, if you will.

-James

Ryan McVay

I would think "assembly" would be addressed differently. Especially if you are looking at routing through manufacturing/assembly. Look at Composer or other IETM tools for that type of functionality. It still keeps you paperless.

Oboe Wu

Hi James,

Just wanted to make sure I got your ideas.

How do you envision to callout those specs? Embed a link to an assembly note? Or would you expect the note to extract a certain line from your spec library automatically?

Als you mentioned shortening the time to market. Could you elaborate?

How much faster would it be? Why?

Thanks! 

-Oboe

James Warburton

Oboe,

It would take extra modeling time to add the specifications, but by eliminating the assembly drawings, we would make the time back and then some. 

I think a  hyperlink to the specifications would absolutely work.  We would not want to duplicate the text within the SolidWorks object and it would also help maintain revision control.  Imagine a large weldment with 200+ individual pieces and multiple weld specifications.   If a welder could select the specification object from the tree and see all of the joints where a given spec was used, he or she could plan their work accordingly.   Another example would be if an assembler could select a fastener spec in the tree and see everywhere grade 8 versus grade 5 versus stainless bolts were used.

Pretty cool right?

Mark Biasotti

Hi Casey,

I've found that it is difficult to MBD on injection molded parts because of Draft and it is difficult to find suitable Primary, Secondary and tertiary Datums.  

Casey Gorman

Hello Mark,

Agreed, that some of the freeform parts would be challenging to set datums. Even a simple part that might have a waving parting line would create that challenge. Looking at some of the new DimXpert tools in 2017 might allow one to use a drafted hole as a datum. Or I guess not using GD&T and just tolerance dimensions might be another approach.

It definitely gives me something to think about for my presentation.

Alessandro Tornincasa

Mark,

I think that with a combination of intersection lines, intersection planes, and the ability to use reference geometries as datums you can probably dimension important features.

I'm currently enjoying practicing Dimxpert, would you share a sample part (not a production part, maybe a sample from solidworks traning manuals or demo) to test ?

Thanks,

Alex

Oboe Wu

Great to hear from you, Mark. Thanks for the comments.

A general thought is that 2D drawing has a 20-year head start over MBD. We are trying hard to catch up fast, but there are still gaps to fill.

On your point: "a lot of our parts are injection molded and have features that can not be dimension with MBD". Would it be possible to share a typical molded part and its 2D drawing? My email is OboeDotWuAt3dsDotCom.

MBD 2017 took a stab at this challenge as shown in this deck (page 13 and 14). The approach is to create reference geometries and open up DimXpert to dimension to reference geometries along with corresponding intersection geometries. This is much more flexible than before. It's up to how to create reference geometries. I tried to dimension a helmet recently. Its 2D drawing contains lots of reference lines and points to anchor dimensions. In MBD, as long as the correct reference geometries can be created, DimXpert can define them in a similar fashion to drawings.

Alessandro Tornincasa

I like possibility to use cones as datums.

This is very useful when using centering holes as datums in shafts.

Like this:

A.png

I used autodimension scheme on this part and in a few clicks all the features I was interested to dimension were completely defined:

B.png

Alex