3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2016 12:43 PM by Azeez Salu

Best settings for liquid appearance?

Azeez Salu

Hello everyone,

I need your advice please. I am working on a personal project, and It is a wine glass with red wine in it. What are the best settings for liquid (wine) appearance in a wine glass? I am currently using generic appearance for the wine. Please see the pictures below.

Thank you,

Azeez

Wine.PNGBrian HillnerWine material.PNG

• Re: Best settings for liquid appearance?
          Andreas Olofsson

Hi Azeez,

First thing I'd do would be to turn emission down to black, otherwise the wine will emit light.

I would either set the diffuse color to a dark red and remove the color texture - or keep the color texture but set its brightness down to 1. Looks a little too bright to me.

Personally I probably wouldn't use any textures at all for a wine appearance though.

Try checking "solid" and play around with color density. I think the lower you set it the better.

Also, I just learned today that you can apply an appearance to a decal! Which was really a game changer for me as the decals in my project shouldn't be matte.

If I were you I would give your decal an appearance with a little bit of reflection and some roughness, just to make it look a little less flat.

Brian Hillner

Thanks for the tips, Andreas! You are spot on with your feedback.

And yes! You can apply any appearance to a decal! This is super helpful and can create some awesome results.

• To change the color of your entire decal, create any desired appearance and then drag that onto your decal.
              • To add a specific texture to your decal, for example to match the part's texture where the decal sits on, simply create a new appearance with the same base color as your original decal, then add the same Bump texture from the surrounding part. Drag that onto the decal and voilà!
              • To add a layer of clearcoat to your decal, meaning make it reflective without changing the color of the decal underneath, create a new appearance; make it a Paint; make it 100% white; then drag it onto your decal. This is how you can add clearcoat to your decals, and then adjust the Clearcoat and Clearcoat Roughness to tweak the amount of reflection on your decal.
              • To make decals appear 'ghosted' on into your model, create a Glass appearance, make it 100% white, and then drag it onto your decal. Then adjust the Roughness slider to achieve the desired effect. You can create some pretty cool results with this trick!
              • And one last trick: to make your decals glow, like for mobile phone screens, car navigation screens, backlit LED displays, etc...all you have to do is create a new appearance and make it an Emissive. Drag that onto your decal and now you can control the intensity and color of the emissive appearance to make your decal glow! Tip: with Visualize Pro you can enable the 'Bloom' filter on your camera to make the glowing decal have a glow halo around it, for even more photorealism!

Have fun exploring!

Azeez Salu

Awesome and thank you very much Andreas! I really appreciate your feedback and tips. You just taught me something new.

As always, thank you for your help Brian Hillner.

Best regards,

Azeez