4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 11:15 AM by Raphael Pilz

Simulate easy displacement - What am I doing wrong?

Raphael Pilz

I have been trying this 150 times (its true!). And I assume: This is the most easy case for Simulation I can imagine!

A round, short tube (blue) will slide into a shaft of a big tube (Picture1). Exploded in picture 2. Of course, the inner diameter of the shaft is equal to the outer diameter of the short tube. I just want the short tube to go to the bottom of the big tube (picture 3). A screenshot of the simulation settings is found in picture 4. Settings are big displacement, and I tried all of the solvers. Everything else is standard.

Can someone help me? What am I doing wrong? I have solidworks (not premium) 2016 (therefore I use static simulation). Thank you so much!

Attached you will find CAD files (2 parts and assembly) and screenshots.

Best

• Re: Simulate easy displacement - What am I doing wrong?
          James Riddell

Since no one else has offered any advice mine is probably just as valuable.  I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that you are not performing a linear static study so SW doesn't like it.  You'd either have to set it up as a non-linear and hope you aren't asking too much of the solver.

What are you actually trying to do?  What results are you expecting?  Is this an impact study?  Is there another way you might simulate the same thing.

For future reference, the 'Thomas Edison' method only works if you try different things instead of the same thing 150x.