12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2008 4:18 PM by Wayne Tiffany

View Control - why reclick MMB to change function?

Dwight Livingston
      Let me start by saying I have a 3Dconnexion controller, which I use but for looking at the ends of a complex model it's slow and difficult. Sometimes I'd rather use the mouse. In fact these days I find mysefl using the 3D control less and less.

Before SolidWorks I used IDEAS, which had some nice view controls. I found it very quick. SW view controls seem much slower.

One difference in SolidWorks I just noticed today: you can't change between view control functions - like from pan to rotate, or from roll to zoom - without lifting your finger off the middle mouse button. You can change from the shift key to the control key, but you still keep zooming until you lift your mouse finger up and depress it again. Why is that?

In IDEAS, you used function keys instead of shift,control, alt, but it was the same scheme basically. However, when you changed function keys, the function changed. You didn't have to lift a finger.

This may seem like a small deal, but this is something we have to do a lot.
        • View Control - why reclick MMB to change function?
          Wayne Tiffany
          Interesting - I had never thought about desiring to press and/or release the Ctrl key to change between panning and rotating without releasing the MMB. But I have to ask why would I want to? Since a rotate works around the closest entity anyway, what would be the advantage?

You can, however, scroll to zoom without releasing.

WT
              Dwight Livingston
              Wayne

You can get by with just roll and scroll-to-zoom, and avoid using pan, rotate, and shift-zoom. It's so slow, though. You have to do a lot of zooming to pan the view, so I find myself cranking on the scroll wheel way too much. I'm doing hours of crank, crank, crank to zoom out and then crank, crank, crank to zoom back in. I listen to the mouse wheel going around and it drives me nuts.

When I try using the shift-key-zoom, I find a lot of times I'm late getting the shift key down to modify the view control, so the view rolls instead of zooms. It should stop rolling and start zooming as soon as the shift key goes down.

There's lots of things I want here. You know how if you select a feature and roll, the roll centers around the feature? I want that for zoom, too, so your zoom is centered on the feature. And rotate ought to center on the feature also. And if I pick a view like "front" I want that to center on the feature without changing scale.

So am I just doing it wrong, or can this be improved?
                  Wayne Tiffany

Dwight Livingston wrote:

So am I just doing it wrong, or can this be improved?

You're just weird! :-)

You sparked a few thoughts. You can set the scroll zoom to either zoom relative to the cursor or relative to the screen center. Some people like it to zoom centered on the cursor but I find that things then walk off the screen. I tend to use my "zoom window in" hotkey of w and my "go back to the previous view" hotkey of b a lot along with the scroll in & out, as they reduce the scrolling,

I have also seen the "rats, I missed the Ctrl so it rolls, not pans" and don't have a better solution than yours. And in that respect, I can see that as a reason to make it change on the fly. Hmm, the light bulb comes on.

Picking a view like front and not zooming to fit I don't have a solution. Just thinking about it you could use a macro to do it, but you would have to tell it to go normal to a face or something, and which way was "up", and also what the rotation center is. Center of the screen, maybe?

WT
                    Jim Wilkinson

Hi Guys,

We could consider changing this so that it changes on the fly as the key press is changed...we just need to be careful that we don't then make it work contrary to how other users might like it. With that in mind, if anyone reading this can think of a reason why NOT to change this to be like Dwight suggests, please post back.

With regards to this request:

Dwight Livingston wrote:

And if I pick a view like "front" I want that to center on the feature without changing scale.

Although not exactly what you may be looking for here, in SolidWorks 2009, we added an option called "Zoom to fit when changing to standard views" under Tools, Options, System Options, View that hen turned off may give you preferable behavior when changing to views like "front".

Thanks,
                    Jim
                        Wayne Tiffany
                        Sounds like the new 2009 feature turned off does exactly what's desired. Then if you set up our num keypad macros to do all the views, you could have it either way, depending on which method you used to get to a front view. Cool!

I can't think of anything offhand that would say to not make the on-the-fly keypress change. But that's one that needs to be watched for a while to see if I run across a situation where it would be detrimental.

WT
                          Jarod Pulo

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

We could consider changing this so that it changes on the fly as the key press is changed...we just need to be careful that we don't then make it work contrary to how other users might like it. With that in mind, if anyone reading this can think of a reason why NOT to change this to be like Dwight suggests, please post back.

Perhaps this is the perfect scenario to add a tick box to the Tools -> Options -> System Options -> View Panel. Leave the default as it is... but if users want the extra functionality let em tick a box and have it.

Hey presto, both sets of people walk away happy!

I'm all for the change in theory. But I'd like to be able to test it out before committing to it 100% of the time. Needless to say it'd really get annoying if the only way to turn it off is to roll back a service pack.
                            Dale Dunn
                            Jim,

The only reason I can think of to keep the existing behavior is that you don't have to keep holding the key down while you finish the zoom, pan, etc. Myself I don't see this as a huge loss. I'm in the habit of releasing these keys because I know I can. Changing this would probably only irritate me until I got used to the change. I can see the value in it. That said, I'm much more likely to use Zoom to Area or the scroll wheel as Wayne mentioned.
                                Dwight Livingston
                                There must be some old SDRC Ideas users around here. I think they'd agree it was a lot faster to get around a model in Ideas. I would never have taken the time to do a zoom window or crank on the mouse wheel.

The roll/rotate functions were set up in sort of an interesting way. There was one function key for both. If you moused in the middle of the screen then the model rolled, and if you traced arcs around the outside of the screen then the model rotated. That's not a necessary featrue, just interesting.

It was quite nice to be able to come up close to a detail, in roughly a front view, and hit a key to make it exactly a front view without changing the zoom. I don't remember what key you had to hit. That worked for all six main views.