40 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2009 4:15 PM by Alessandro Frattini

Transparent part in drawing

Tim Warris
      I have an assembly with glass windows. I am creating a drawing and would like the glass parts to show transparent, but can't seem to figure out how to do it.

Any suggestions?

• Transparent part in drawing
          Troy Peterson
          Is this for visualization only? If so, do a screen capture or if you want a more realistic image render to a file, then insert picture to drawing.
            Blake Dahle
            If the model is shown as shaded and the material is glass or the part set to transparent, then it will show up as such on the drawing. This is probably not the case though, and I assume you are bringing it in as outline.

If the glass is framed in, it may serve your need to just right click the item on the design tree and "Hide component". This will allow you to see past it and it can still be called out in the BOM etc.
              Tim Warris
              The glass is being shown in an exploded view of an outline drawing and needs to appear transparent. I would need to outline of the glass, and all the lines behind it to show, but not as hidden dashed lines.

Deepak Gupta
                Set the transparency to Wireframe.
                  Tim Warris
                  Hi,

Thanks for all the feedback.

How do I adjust the transparency settings for individual parts in an assembly?
                      Deepak Gupta
                      Check the attached pic. You can choose between different displays or can edit transparency in the color option.
                          Daniel Eelman
                          Tim,

Please post if you have any success with this. I encounter the same issue, and have tried setting the transparency of the part all the way to 1 without any effect on the drawing view. I use shaded views, but would like the option of using Hidden Lines Removed, since they copy better. The attached pic shows the same piece of glass with the different view settings.

Alan - you seem to have the solution, but I can't figure out how to get there.
                          [I see by your wrinkly paper that you are on SW2008 - does that matter? - Never mind, I forgot to check Tim's signature. He is on 2008 as well]
                        Tim Warris
                        I have set the transparency to .75 here and still get a solid view in the drawings. Setting the parts to wireframe causes them to disappear in the assembly, but no change in the drawings, still solid. If I set the drawing view to Shaded with Edges it appears transparent, but I need an outline drawing.
                          Tim Warris
                          I opened the part and created a drawing with it and I don't get transparent glass in the drawing, same results as before. Anyone else getting the same results?
                            Tim Warris
                            I spoke to my VAR (tech guy) about this issue and after much effort it has been determined it can't be done.

There is a way to sort of do it, but when the files are exported as a .DWG file (I need these in another software package for further work) the transparent parts show as a solid.

Its hard to believe that this issue doesn't come up more often, seems like it would be a common requirement to be able to see through a transparent part!

Daniel Eelman
                                Hmmm...I guess I would accept that if not for the images that Alan Stoldt posted. From what I see there, it appears we can see through the window, while the rest of the assembly is opaque in a HLR view.

Alan, would it be possible to zip the whole cabinet assembly & slddrw, rather than just the window part? It would be interesting to see if we can recreate that view from the same files.
                                  Alan Stoldt

Tim Warris wrote:

I spoke to my VAR (tech guy) about this issue and after much effort it has been determined it can't be done.

There is a way to sort of do it, but when the files are exported as a .DWG file (I need these in another software package for further work) the transparent parts show as a solid.

Its hard to believe that this issue doesn't come up more often, seems like it would be a common requirement to be able to see through a transparent part!

Tim,

I can't say what will happen when they are saved as DWG, but attached is a zipped file with the parts and assemblies and drawing shown in the pictures below.

Perhaps you could pass these along to your VAR and have them figure it out.

Hope this helps.
                                  Tim Warris
                                  I had a look at the assembly, and it would appear that the glass is not there. Even though it shows up in the part, in the entire assembly there seems to be no glass, which is why it would show transparent. With a section view no glass can be seen in the assembly, although it might be there, just transparent, I could be wrong.

In the part file the glass is clearly visible, but still clear, in the assembly, it isn't. Anyone else see this?

BTW, it does export into a DWG file correctly. I was told by my VAR that the issue is with Autocad not being able to translate transparent parts, not SW.
                                      Joel Bickel
                                      In the electrical box, the window area is cut out at the assembly level. Suppress that cut in the assembly and it is not transparent in the drawing anymore.
                                          Daniel Eelman
                                          AHA!. This finally makes sense. I was confused by the missing glass as well (completely overlooking the Cut-Extrude in the assembly). So it is basically a work around of cutting out the glass at the assembly level. That wouldn't work so great in my case, since I still need to be able to see the edges of the glass. I guess I'll stick with shaded views (although that doesn't seem to be an option for Tim). It sure would be a nice feature if you could have transparent parts in HLR.
                                        Tim Warris
                                        My VAR was going to put in a request, but called back to let me know it wasn't possible as it is an issue with AutoCAD not being able to translate transparencies.

He did show me a technique that worked properly in SW, but I can't seem to replicate it.

sandeep pawar
                                            Hi,

We can Create view with transparent by following the below mentioned steps,

1. Set the component whichever you want to keep it transparent in the assembly mode

2. Create the drawing and select the view whichever you want and set the display style to "shaded with edges".

Refer the picture for better understanding.

Thanks,
                                            Alan Stoldt
                                            That Assembly level Cut was the magic ticket I guess. Thanks guys, I never realized what was happening there. I have since redefined the Selected Bodies and now my glass isn't see thru either (at the drawing level).

My bad.

Makes for a good optical illusion though.
                                            • Re: Transparent part in drawing
                                              Has anyone come up with a solution to this.  I have an assebmbly with a folded lexan cover.  I need to show the cover in the drawing and i need to be able to show the items behind it.  I could do the "picture frame" method suggested but would rather not, because others who use the model may not know what/why it was done.  My drawing needs to be hidden lines removed, a shaded view is not an option.  Has anyone come up with a solution?  Is this fixed in 2009, i am currently running 2008?
                                                  Josh Brady
                                                  There's only one way to do this.  I've requested transparent components in drawings before.  Never happened.  Please submit an enhancement request.  In the meantime, a workaround:  In your assembly, create two configurations.  In one configuration, hide the lexan.  Create your assembly drawing view referencing the one with lexan hidden.  Add an alternate position view referencing the configuration with lexan shown.  Then, change the lexan's line font from phantom to whatever font you want it to be.
                                                  Steve Calvert

OK, I have a secret I've been using to see through parts that I've started using way back in the UG days.  I takes a couple of steps.  I mainly use it for showing sheet metal parts that get painted (which means for us that the PN changed but we don't necessarly model color parts in our PDM system) but I want to show them in context (assembled) with the parts they get attached to.

Basically, you have to have two different views on top of each other.  One view shows all the parts you want to see and has the painted parts hidden (either by hidding them in the view or by making a specific configuration) and the other view is the opposite.  It takes some time to set up but it looks fine.

I guess the way to do this would be for SW to allow for seperate part display style.  Get you enhancements in.

Steve

Alessandro Frattini

Hi,

I'm using SolidEdge for a project and SolidEdge has it.

In the picture attached it is in shaded mode, but it works also in Black and White mode.

Please add an ER as I'm doing now.