5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2016 11:17 AM by John Stoltzfus Branched from an earlier discussion.

Re: Curved Chain Run Between 2 Angled Sprockets? Help

Elmar Klammer

Hi Steward,

Even if you can do this on the computer, your sprockets & std. roller chain won't last in reality. A round belt drive could work depending on your horse power requirements and design intent.

Elmar

• Re: Curved Chain Run Between 2 Angled Sprockets? Help
          Stewart McKay

Elmar:

It is less than 1 h.p. application running at 100 fpm. But FYI Rexnord, Diamond & Tsubaki all have chain designed for this application.

All sprockets are hardened as well as the chain.  check out Diamond power curve chain.

Cheers

Elmar Klammer

Steward,

What you want to achieve is easy to do using a u-joint and standard off the shelf chain that would allow the placement of a proper chain tensioner.  Even with you flex chain you will need lateral support or it will either chew into your sprocket or wear the side plates. Hardened or not. Your mis-alignment is on the big side while the center distances seem short. Not a good combination by any means.

Software will not complain about poor design. You can model the chain in solidworks using curve driven pattern or you can model as an assembly using a curve sketch for positioning. The assembly approach will be more accurate. With some trial and error you'll get there.

Elmar

Stewart McKay

Elmar thanks for the input....my hands are tied regarding the design and client wants. I do agree with what your saying in terms of wear its not a good situation....would you have an example of the u-joint you describe, i cant quite visualize it. Perhaps you could email me a sketch. Id like to present something to the client that makes sense. I raised the concern you describe with other engineers and we all agree....wear is an issue. I could be emailed at

stewart.mckay@raute.com

Regards

Stewart McKay

taking it a step further i like your idea of round belting...does round belting or power twist belting work in the application I have laid out?

I dont have any experience with it but after doing a google search I see that round belting will allow for the angles and offsets Im working with...any thoughts?

John Stoltzfus

Is there a chance you could use thinner plate sprockets to assist in reducing the side wear on the side of the sprocket and the inner portion of the chain?  If the client is set on this design then I would design side guides for the chain that are spring loaded one on each side of the misaligned sprocket, I would force the chain to go straight at that area. 

There is another element that comes into play here and that is ----  I am assuming the misaligned sprocket is on the "Slack" side, if it is then the chain guides should work well.