5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2016 5:17 AM by Mark Keown

mpcb simulation

E. Brega

I have a mpcb from top to down:

heat source

copper track

0,1mm dielectric polymer (0,2W/mk)

1,5 mm thickness aluminum

the manufacturer says is an equivalent to 2W/mk but  I don't think is a realistic Simulation.

How usually you simulate the MPCB? do you consider every layer ?

the Interface resistance of the polymer is easy to simulate with the relative function, but I cannot put two interface thermal resistance one on top other for the copper track.

How usually you do it?

• Re: mpcb simulation
          Bill McEachern

Not that I know what mpcb? Assuming it is some sort of printed circuit board - they typically run in 10 - 100 W/mK in the plane of the board and can be sub 1 normal to the plane of he board. You need a lot of copper in the board to get much over 40 and it is likely placed their for non electrical reasons - i.e. for heat conduction - but it depends on the situation. Flow sim with the electronic package has a calculator to help in computing properties based on how much copper is in each layer. Regular Flow sim also has some "representative boards" based on various layers - a 4, 8 &12 layer boards.

François Lutor

Bonjour

vous pouvez visionner les vidéo concernant la simulation sur Flow simulation directement ici:

video1flowsimulation - YouTube

effet venturi video 1 - YouTube

effet venturi video 3 - YouTube

c'est tres formateur

E. Brega

Sorry, I meant MCPCB, metal core pcb.

Mark Keown

Model the MCPCB in two parts.  First extrusion is for the copper and dielectric use the values in the table's gray-shaded area (in-plane and through plane) below to assign material properties, and second extrusion (un-tick Merge results) is for the aluminum sheet.

The table below is for one copper layer 80% fill and 7 x 10^-5 m thick.  If you have more than one copper layer let me know and will recalculate.  This calculator is part of the electronics cooling module.  Not sure is Flow Simulation will support non-isotropic materials with out electronics module.

The through place resistance With the aluminum-core will be essentially the same value because the aluminum-core offers little resistance compared to the dielectric (factor of 1000 difference in conductivity).

This table for one copper layer and dielectric (MC not included) (the Comments "2 Signal, Alu core" is not correct)