8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2016 4:23 AM by Bjorn Hulman

Derived sketch to retain same position of Original Part

Kuselan Ml

Hi,

As i am newbie to SolidWorks.

Please someone give me suggestion how to derive a sketch form another part so that the derived sketch should retain the same position of original part [coordinates x,y,z of assembly with part(sketch to derive) and coordinates x,y,z of part(to derive sketch) should be same].

Suppose the sketch to be derived is not in origin planes, say to be in user plane of different orientation. When we need that sketch in a new part, how to derive it. Because the new part do not have any reference plane to derive it.

Is there any workflow to derive sketch without selecting the sketch of another part and the plane in current part.

Thanks in Advance

M.L.Kuselan

• Re: Derived sketch to retain same position of Original Part
          John Stoltzfus

You can derive sketches from one part to another, also you can use the Sketch Convert Entities tool, and when you derive a sketch you can add dimensions or link it to the proper position..

Solid Air

If I understand your question correctly, you will not be able to do what you want to do.  According to SolidWorks help, you must select a face to place the derived sketch on.  So if that same face does not exist in the other part, the sketch cannot be placed in the same position.

Bjorn Hulman

Hi Kuselan,

You could create a derived part by dragging the first one into a new part from the file explorer tab in the right of the SW interface. You can then choose to only bring through absorbed and/or unabsorbed sketches. Alternatively you could bring in the body, create your sketch in relation to that, then delete the body using delete body feature.

Kuselan Ml

Thanks to all for the response.

What i am trying to do may be done by any simple method.So please suggest me.

Hi Bjorn Hulman,

Yes it may be the method. But how to derive a particular sketch from another part, if it contains many absorbed and unabsorbed sketches.

This method may bring all the absorbed and unabsorbed sketches in current part file.

Because i use to create many layout sketch in Front plane and other plane in a part file and derive it in another part file.

For Example:

Part file A has a Sketch named Sketch_A and in that i place a point say Point_A at distance X = 1000 and Y = 500 from origin.

By selecting the Point_A and plane perpendicular to sketch plane(Sketch_A) i create a plane say Plane_B.

Then Selecting Plane_B, i use to create layout sketch (Sketch_B) which will contain say pipe od, thick and flange od, id etc.

Within the Assembly, i create a new part and want to derive the sketch (Sketch_B) from Part file A so that the sketch(Sketch_B)  orientation and position within the assembly should be same as it was in the Part file A.

Why i need this associative is because when i change the Point(Point_A) position to X = 1200 and Y = 550 in Part File A.

The Plane_B and sketch (Sketch_B) should move to the new location and all the part file which derived sketch (Sketch_B) should also update.

Bjorn Hulman

Hi Kuselan,

in your scenario, where you have created a new part in an assembly:

• when you first create the part and it requires you to select a plane or face, select the front plane of the assembly.
                      • close the sketch
                      • start a new sketch on the plane you want.
                      • Convert the required entities.

If this is likely to be your approach moving forward. I would suggest sketching out your CAD intent, creating the construction geometry (planes, sketches etc) and use this as a template by using the derived part method. This way you can change that file and all your parts will update.

Kelvin Lamport
                    Is there any workflow to derive sketch without selecting the sketch of another part and the plane in current part.

Seriously?

How do you expect any program to know what to select and where to place it without selecting those?