5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2016 9:56 AM by Peter De Vlieger

ThWhere can we download version 2018

Peter De Vlieger

This afternoon my colleague had a crash. That in itself is not that strange and 2016 SP5  has been pretty good for us concerning stability but none the less it happens once in awhile. The strange thing is what happened next.

See screenshot :

There for my question, where can we download 2018 A1?

All joking aside, I can applaud that they are working on fixing known issues but offering a solution for it by pointing to an alpha version (or is it even a pre-alpha?) doesn't strike me as actually helpful. Even if we could get our hands on 2018 A1 we wouldn't be using it because we don't have time to fiddle around. We don't even bother with the beta version because all our designing/drawing is in a production environment.

• Re: ThWhere can we download version 2018
          Habib Ghalamkari

you may want to post this message in this funny post:

Your favorite Solidworks error messages

John Sweeney

Hi Peter,

My apologies for the incorrect message.  Any chance you have the SolidWorksPerformance.log file from this crash?  It should be located in a zip file inside one of your "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\SolidWorks\CXRS" folders.

Best Regards,

John

Peter De Vlieger

John,

I looked together with my colleague and the only thing we could find that was from that day was the enclosed file.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice one

Peter

John Sweeney

Hi Peter,

The message you saw in the taskpane window is a "published solution" which is displayed when we recognize a crash you send up to our server and we respond with a message telling you where the crash is fixed.  The crash log you found in the CXRS "response" folder doesn't seem to match anything we've published as a "fixed solution" so I believe this may not be the crash that triggered the message.  The crash dump you sent me looks like it matches SPR 915684.  The SPR details for 915684 indicate this is a problem when dragging a Routing centerpoint.

The log file also shows that you are running SW2016 sp4.  Is that correct?  The crash response you saw in the taskpane, which was incorrectly labelled as "fixed in SW2018 A1", is a crash that should be fixed in 2016 sp5.  If you are still seeing a crash that we believe it is fixed in SP5, then I'd like to dig a bit deeper.

Thanks for your time,

John

Peter De Vlieger

John,

We have been using SP5 for a few weeks now so how it reports an SP4 in the crash dump I have no clue.

The error that triggered the crash could very well be something to deal with routing because that's our main usage of SW. And seeing that routing got a nasty little bug incorporated in SW2016 (which reports tell me is still present in 2017) it will have had something to do with that.

The reporting of the 'solution' only happened the one time and he moved on. After a reboot my colleague was able to get things done without further mishap.

Could it be that the message that got triggered was due to a problem earlier and had nothing to do with the crash it showed up on?

IF it should happen again I'll re-visit this thread and post more information about it. For now it looks like it was a single instance.

Thank you for the effort

Peter