3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2016 6:02 PM by Andrew McIntyre

Sheet metal bounding box table problem

Andrew McIntyre

Hi all,

I've got a problem with sheet metal bounding box in a drawing table that I cant seem to solve. I have a series of panels which are all the same width, but the height increases from one panel to the next. I'm using the bounding box width and length to call this out in a table, but Solidworks is putting some of the 'width' dimensions into the 'height box for panels where the height is less than the width. We use the same drawing, but with different widths and heights constantly for different jobs, and I don't want to have to manually type this information in every time.

For example:

The current width for all panels is 1155.5mm, but the bounding box flips the dimensions if the height is less than 1155.5, and puts the height into the width callout in the drawing (i.e. 1011.1mm). I want 1155.5 to be in all rows for the width column.

I've tried to change the parameters in the cut list properties of the part, but it gets a bit messy when the part changes so often.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

• Re: Sheet metal bounding box table problem
          John Stoltzfus

The orientation is based on XYZ - only a guess but the ones flipped are either mirrored parts or the first ones are bottom and the others are top etc..  I don't think there is anyway to change it..

• Re: Sheet metal bounding box table problem
            Solid Air

What you are experiencing is by design.  SolidWorks assigns the smaller of the two values to the width property and, obviously, the larger value to the length property.  Your screen shot only shows the table so it is difficult to make a good suggestion.

• Change you table to read panel size with a separate column for width and length.
            • Insert and BOM table and use formulas to flip-flop the values.
            • Use equations in the model to flip-flop the dimensions.
            • Add dimensions to the model and use those instead of the bounding box dimensions.

If you could post a full screen shot of your drawing (better if you could post your model and drawing), I may be able to make better suggestions.