5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2017 2:57 PM by Vladimir Urazhdin

Global Variables in Assembly Won't Link

Greg Sims

Hi!

I searched through the threads here and didn't find an answer to my question, so here goes:

I'm trying to reference global variables in a part to global variables in an assembly. For workflow reasons at my company, I can't use a design table, or use the "link to an external file" option. The next user needs to be able to open the assembly, change the global variables there, and rebuild the product. However, at the part level, I'm getting a syntax error when writing the formula to link the variables.

Here are the equations in my assembly, which is called 18163_SINK_CAB.SLDASM:

Now, here is the formula I'm attempting to use when I get the error:

The part and the assembly both live in the same folder on the server, and I even tried inserting the part into the assembly before trying to create the global variable. Same problem.

I know I can insert the part, then change the dimensions to reference the assembly's global variables, but that sometimes creates read/write issues when deleting or changing the part later, and it's too much of a headache.

Can anyone help with this? I remember doing it this way before, so it should work fine, but I can't find that old model to reference what's different.

Thanks!
      Greg