5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2016 10:27 AM by Elmar Klammer

edge selection sensitity

Carlos Marquez

Can anyone tell me if there is a setting to reduce the sensitivity when selecting an edge in a drawing? It's too sensitive to select and often i have to sit there with hardly any mouse movement to select an edge. When the edge highlights and i go to click to select, the mouse has moved and i lose the selection! very frustrating!

Carlos

Design Engineer

• Re: edge selection sensitity
          Tony Cantrell

Under System Options-Display/Selection there is a check box for Enhance small face selection precision

Glenn Schroeder

Carlos Marquez wrote:

Can anyone tell me if there is a setting to reduce the sensitivity when selecting an edge in a drawing?

I'm afraid not.  Feel free to vote for Allow Options for Cursor Precision     when voting opens December 16th.  (Yes, this is a shameless plug for one of my Ideas.)

Bjorn Hulman

Do you have dynamic highlight turned on? System options>Display/Selection>Dynamic highlight from graphics view. It won't improve sensitivity, but you'll get a better idea of what SW thinks your hovering over.

Elmar Klammer

I hear your pain. Especially with drawings of structural components like HSS where SW tends to focus selection of hidden items over outside contour edges. There is a document setting to allow/disallow selection of hidden items, but that setting is not productive.

It would be great if SW would allow a toggle selection like ALT+ LM click that would set the priority to visible edges only. Or better make visible edges the priority and let me select hidden edges with ALT + LM click since this is 99.9 percent of all cases. Good design practice avoids referencing/dimensioning to hidden lines unless there is a good reason to do so.

Can't tell how many hours of fiddle-fart zooming in-out, wiggling the mouse I have spent to grab component lines of sheet metal components or hollow structural members. The shop really enjoys finding drawing with overall cut dimensions the end up being approximately a wall thickness short because you inadvertently grabbed the hidden inside edge instead of the visible outside contour.

Especially with long slender components, where it is really hard to see unless you zoom in.

If you want to see the difference in speed, compare Inventor drawing dimensions selection speed with SW. SW looses by a far margin. Just to curb the never ending IV & SW discussions. I'm not saying one is better then the other, I am saying each one has its strength and weakness. Drawings in SW is more of a weakness especially if speed is of concern.