0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2016 12:36 PM by Tyler Hilgendorf

How to apply a temperature for an amount of time and then remove it, but not set it to zero?

Tyler Hilgendorf

I am creating a simulation of a long part that has a very hot temperature applied to it at a specific location. This heat source then moves down the length of the part.

I have separated the part into segments, and I plan to apply a temperature to each segment in a sequence in order to simulate the movement of the heat source.

The problem is when I apply the temperature to a segment using the "Variation with Time" tool as described here (Transient Thermal Study with a Time Varying Applied Temperature ). I am able to apply the temperature when I want just fine. But then I would like to just turn the temperature off and let natural convection and conduction do what they do. Instead, the Variation with Time tool forces me to specifically define the temperature over the entire duration of the test. I cannot set it to zero when I am done with it, because it thinks that I am wanting it to be zero Kelvin at that point, which I definitely don't. I also cannot just set it to room temperature, because I am trying to simulate the natural cooling of the part after the heater has passed, and forcing the surface to be room temperature is not an accurate representation of that situation.

It seems my only other option is to split the test up into several simulations, with the results of one defining the initial conditions of the next as described here (applying heat then removing it? ). But that will give me dozens and dozens of separate simulations to run.

Is there any other way around these problems?

EDIT: In the Variation with Time tool, I also tried defining points in time but leaving their corresponding temperatures blank. This did not work, Solidworks just deleted those time points