AnsweredAssumed Answered

Part/drawing File Naming Best Practices

Question asked by Jody Smith on Nov 17, 2016
Latest reply on Nov 17, 2016 by Guest

This is not a Solidworks specific issue and I am not sure how this will be answered so that someone can get points. I'm trying to explain to my current engineering group why it isn't a good idea to have the revision in the file name and I just can't seem to get through to anyone why this is not a good idea. This is the only place that I have worked that does this. We currently use  a manual document/revision control process but sometime in the next year will transition to an electronic PDM system of some type and I have been a key proponent of this switch. They always reply with "How do you know you are looking at the latest/correct revision?" I was always taught that the version that everyone has access to/can view IS the latest revision. Whenever I see a file name with a revision on it, it means that it is an older revision that has been archived. Also in other businesses when we went to implement a PDM system (SmarTeam, Team Center, Enterprise, Whatever) it was always advised by the PDM representative to NOT put the revision in the part/drawing/file name. Am I the odd bird on this train of thought? Do I have a valid argument? I need some bullet points or nightmare scenarios or something to give as examples as to why this is not a good idea, or I need to be proven wrong so that I can suck it up and move on after 5 years of trying to beat them into submission. Don't even get me stared on the "smart" numbering system that we use. I have given up on that argument. Again, I know this is not Solidworks specific, but as I have focused on and only primarily used SW for my entire career (15 years) and am not a member to any other CAD forums I am using this forum. Also I understand  that there are many scenarios (do part and drawing get revised together or not? etc.). I'm not going to put this in any specific category as I want input form CAD admin, users, Engineers and anyone willing to chime in. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Outcomes